RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took her to the Smog Station yesterday sad to say she didn't past. My printout said that I failed because of the MIL/Check Engine Light Test due to failure to successfully complete all OBD self tests and because it was a gross polluter. When I asked them for answers to my questions they didn't want to tell me anything because they wanted to charge me 2 hours of labor. Anyways, I took her home and hook her up to the OBD reader and it stated the following:

No Codes

4 INC
Catalyst
Evap
O2 Senr
O2 Str
I'm thinking the 4 inc have to do with the O2 Sensors being I wrote that code P1187 in my notes a year and half ago. I cant understand why it wouldn't be showing now. But what Im not sure of is the Catalyst and Evap. Is this something that changing the O2 sensors will fix or should I get a new Catalytic Converter?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Is your service engine light on? I read on my cafax sheet when mine was in CA that it failed emissions because of this. CA has extremely tough emissions standards unfortunately. A lot of heavy construction equipment can no longer pass emissions in CA and now general contractors and leasing companies have to buy hybrid construction equipment... :x

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No check engine lights or any faults. Thats why I'm confused by her not passing smog. Last issue I had was a faulty fuel pump took care of that last month no other issues other than replacing airbags last year. After doing a little reading on the matter I found out that the inc means incomplete and that the car has to run for awhile so that the car can cycle through to see if there really is the the issue that I listed above since she's been sitting in the carport for awhile(which I forgot to mention.) I agree that Cali is a pain in but when it comes to emission, a telling sign that it's time to move back to Florida! No smog there :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
985 Posts
The car's OBD records emissions related conditions in three different cycles, and in order to have the OBD compliant per CA emissions test, all 3 driving cycle data has to be in the OBD. If not, you will fail the smog test regardless of whether it's a gross polluter or not. It takes about a week of regular driving, on and off highway, to get the drive cycle data in the OBD. If you've disconnected the battery recently, it erases the data from OBD, so you have to start from scratch.

As for your actual polluting issues, you have to figure out what's causing it and fix it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car's OBD records emissions related conditions in three different cycles, and in order to have the OBD compliant per CA emissions test, all 3 driving cycle data has to be in the OBD. If not, you will fail the smog test regardless of whether it's a gross polluter or not. It takes about a week of regular driving, on and off highway, to get the drive cycle data in the OBD. If you've disconnected the battery recently, it erases the data from OBD, so you have to start from scratch.

Are you saying that I should just drive for a week on and off highway? Or should I disconnect the battery , which erases the data, and start from scratch? Which is funny that you say that because I asked that very question before I did the test because I've had battery issues and that its been sitting for awhile. Like I stated in my previous post, I haven't had a check engine light on at any point since I've own the vehicle. Why would that show up as a functional failure?

As for your actual polluting issues, you have to figure out what's causing it and fix it.

That's what I want to do but they were unwilling to tell me that I'd have to drive it for week or so to cycle the data in the OBD. My endgame is to fix the problem so I don't have this looming problem hanging over my head. But, I don't want to waste time and money going one route over the other in hopes that it may fix the problem because of an overzealous smog mechanic trying to milk me for cash. I want all the facts ahead of time so I can make an educated discisson based on someones experience who's had this problem.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If the check engine light or SES light never came up, then it's possibly just a matter of OBD not having the drive cycle data in the memory. I've had the same kind of problem w/ my car, where the car failed the smog test because the OBD didn't have the drive cycle data (FYI, just prior to the smog check, I had to disconnect my battery to do some maintenance). My smog check guy was nice enough to let me do the test free couple of times, as the car actually passed the actual pollution test-just it didn't pass the functional aspect of the CA smog check. I've gone back perhaps 3-4 times. The guy told me that it would take about a week for the OBD to be ready. Guess what, after the 3-4th try, which happened to be about after a week of regular driving, the OBD was ready.

In your case, sounds like due to lack of driving or due to your battery issues, you OBD memory got erased of the drive cycle data. Why don't you drive around for a week, and get it checked again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally found out what the problem was with my smog failure... it turns out I had a broken O2 sensor. I can't tell you how or when it happend because I've been having battery issues(passed all the test on the sticky) so I haven't been doing any offroading. Now, I still have to drive her around some more so I can wake up all the monitors then they can test the smog again. But, the downside to that is I have to wait 3hrs in line at DMV :twisted: :twisted: for 2 one day driving passes so I can drive her around :crybaby2: :crybaby2: . I'm hoping this fix both of my issues because its a pain not having a car to drive. The only good thing that's come out of this is I've lost 20lbs running and walking everyday. :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
898 Posts
The cops won't pull you over if your registration expired this month. They always give you at least one month in default before pulling you over. Also, you should be able to get a temporary sticker for one month if you have paid your registration fees and are needing to get the smog. After you get the smog, you will have to take the printout to the DMV again to get your registration stickers... what a pain... you can check wait times online at most DMV locations. Smog in CA sucks!

Last year, I had to get a used airbox for my bimmer because after having a cone filter on for over 10 years, they changed the laws and wouldn't accept it.

Sounds like the smog station was definitely trying to milk money out of you. You know more about your Rangie than they do. I can't believe they didnt give you a print-out of the emissions.

Also, I have used the GUARANTEED TO PASS http://www.amazon.com/Guaranteed-Pass-Emissions-Test-Formula/dp/B0007N1ZPY fuel additive and it hasn't let me down. Put a bottle in your tank since you have to drive for a few days anyway. You can pick it up at any parts store. It helps bring down NOX which it usually the test that kills most cars in CA. And since the Rangies were built when BMW was in control, the bimmers always need the cats to be really hot to work well. Be sure you have the truck totally warmed up when they test it and not sitting for a hour before the actual test.

Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good news, finally passed smog! It's funny how one bad O2 sensor can cause so much grief :twisted: :twisted: Thanks to everyone who offered their input!!! If this happens to anyone esle I would tell the smog repair mechanic to start with the O2 sensor since most of us will know more about the car then they will. It took them almost a month to finally listen to me before they would check them. If you're wondering why I didn't take it to a Land Rover dealer or local indie, you can only take them to authorized smog repair stations in your zip code once it fails smog.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
jonboi002 said:
If you're wondering why I didn't take it to a Land Rover dealer or local indie, you can only take them to authorized smog repair stations in your zip code once it fails smog.
How insane.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts