RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I spent the newyears days installing an winch on my RRp38.
I been planning to do this for years, so now its finally done. The winch I choosed is an electric Smittybilt X20 10000LB 2gen. winch with syntetic rope.

Its a pedestraint friendly installation with the winch installed hidden in a tray boltet between the frame behind the bumper. I actually bought this winch tray kit some years ago from a previously banned member of this forum, who got alot of complaints for his kit build up, workmanship and so on. But the idea itself is a very good solution for winch installation on the RRp38.

The kit arrived more or less like an half fabricate, so I reworked it alot to try to take care of all the issues an complaints regarding this installation.

Result in this.

Front view.

jan 2015 001.JPG

From underneath, shows the added laminated aluminium/titanium skid plate.

Jan 2014 033.JPG

Cut-out in front bumper to access the clutch handle.
Jan 2014 029.JPG

Front view.
Jan 2014 034.JPG

Side view L/H

Jan 2014 035.JPG
Jan 2014 036.jpg

The winch tray this kit is based on ( actually from an humvee )
HMMWV WInch bumper 142 (1).jpg

Im very satiesfied with how it works and looks in the end:razz:

Its an real strong and rigid installation with the tray boltet with some brackets between the frames aft of the crush cans and also with an U bracket boltet to the lower front crossmember going down under the radiator.

Best regards Brage.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
Pedestrian friendly?! Do you frequently mow down pedestrians ?
How many points do you get for each ? If you hit several at a time, is that a bonus?

I like my winch up high like on my Discovery1.

But the hidden winch is a nice set up. Good theft deterrent.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

R

·
0 Posts
to my idea it sits a little low to be practical, but I understand why if you want to keep the original bumper.

pedestrianfriendly is in lots of countries the keyword... a winch sticking forward infront of the bumper is difficult to get approoved because of damage to pedestrians and cyclists in case of an accident with one of them..... but like the other discussion this varies per country (so it is not that he is aiming to hit pedestrians in a friendly way)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I aim for idiots...

. herd driveway1.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pedestrian friendly?! Do you frequently mow down pedestrians ?
How many points do you get for each ? If you hit several at a time, is that a bonus?
:D
:wink: You get some points for sure over here, on your license that is, if you hit some. No its more like a term as Roger says in next post, to keep it legal. The installation also keeps the crush cans functional..

to my idea it sits a little low to be practical, but I understand why if you want to keep the original bumper.
Yeah, I been thinking some about the low attatchment, but when your stuck, wouldnt you most likely to be pulled up and forward. An high winch attatchment ( pending on where you attach the hook ) may pull you down and forward. But truly its most about keeping the original look as intact as possible.
But I`ve seen alot of nice high attatchments too.

Best regrds Brage

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Shame you had to pay for the junk he made, and then pay again to get it shipped overseas.
Looks like you reinvented the wheel with it though, so all is well now.
I also prefer my winch mounts higher up for ease of recovery, but anything is better than nothing, thats for sure

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
It does look like a nice and clean setup.
But some problems remain:
- with the winch + skidplate you effectively block off the lower part of the radiator
- a low sitting winch will be bad for your approach angle, and you'd best carry a shovel to dig it out if you need it. Both points from experience offroading yesterday: the P38a in our group had problems with the standard front bumper catching an obstacle before the wheels could crawl up (happend twice). With a low mount winch, this would become a real problem. Later on we had to do some digging to get to the winch on a Classic stuck in a ditch, despite that winch being in a high-mount winchbumper.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
- with the winch + skidplate you effectively block off the lower part of the radiator
- a low sitting winch will be bad for your approach angle, and you'd best carry a shovel to dig it out if you need it.
Regarding the blocked airflow to the lower part of the radiator, thats taken care of with the the cut-outs in the winch tray, even tough the winch sits straight aft, you still get good airflow. Behind the two smal cut-outs there is free passage, its also the location of the outside airtemp probe. But truly I loose some approach angle with this installation, on the other hand its kind of protect the draglink. loose some / win some.:crybaby2::dance:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Regarding the blocked airflow to the lower part of the radiator, thats taken care of with the the cut-outs in the winch tray, even tough the winch sits straight aft, you still get good airflow. Behind the two smal cut-outs there is free passage, its also the location of the outside airtemp probe. But truly I loose some approach angle with this installation, on the other hand its kind of protect the draglink.
Clean installation however, air flow is important and it sounds like you have it covered. During last summer I was the tail rig on a 3- Day Sierra run and with high temps and low speed the lack of air flow was a problem. I have drilled holes to increase flow it since, but still struggle on occasions to keep air moving in the lower.

Different bumper however, comment is more in regards air flow.

IMG_20141227_130659130 (1).jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks good! I'm sadly Roverless at the moment and have been scouring ads for P38's to make a trail truck (tired of rusty RRCs and Discos - looking for a newer RRS or RR for daily duties) and getting a winch fitted is definitely an issue. Thanks for posting!

R

·
0 Posts
tried trial this year in our landroverclubtrial..the posts forming the gate you must pass without dropping the wooden balls off stand defender width+20cm apart...... that's VERY tight with a p38....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts