RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone figured what's the best way to hold the smart fone near the dash? My old smart fone holder which used to go into the AC vents, doesn't work on this car.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
321 Posts
I prefer this...but I don't have a 2018 so verify you have a CD player slot and your phone & case will do what you want/look the way you want.

I like this because I can be portrait or landscape, move the angle to my liking, etc. However, I also never use my phone while driving...I was just tired of digging it out of the center console when I park. I started using these before we purchased the L405. Otherwise I'd just use the door compartment because it's nicely lined and isn't a pain to get the phone in and out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016GNYZIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
13 Posts
I only recently discovered that there's a "slot" between the two cup holders now, that I'm sure wasn't there in my MY16.

I can stand my iPhone vertically upright in that slot, see the screen if I need to, it'll work with "Hey Siri" (because the steering wheel buttons on a $120k car in incapable of doing that! gripe...) and I can still fit two cups in the cupholder. Also it's easy to get it back out of the cupholder without taking the rubber parts with it....

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I only recently discovered that there's a "slot" between the two cup holders now, that I'm sure wasn't there in my MY16.
Same, that's where I put my phone, too. This space is new with MY18 and up

·
Registered
279 Posts
Check out scosche magic mount there are several options in there but I use the one that uses 3M tape. I stick it on just to the left of the screen and it works perfectly and isn't in the way of other buttons etc.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
21 Posts
I highly recommend the mount from Pro Clip. It basically snaps onto the dash (I don't bother with any adhesive tape). You can then attach any type of phone holder to the mount with double stick tape. I use a quick adjust holder from Menards (around $5 but probably not very practical from Dubai) which can instantly adjust between my iPhone and my wife's larger iPhone plus. You can even install a second one on the other side of the console for a passenger. And it doesn't block the AC vents, likely important in Dubai.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have been using the cup holder gaps for now as well as balancing the fone lying down on one of the cup holders. The second option seems to work best for me as I use Google Maps quite a lot. Will try with one of the stickable options next.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I am waiting for our Carplay update that's supposedly coming really soon. They just released an update with Carplay/AA support for the MY17 Discovery in the UK. We cannot be too far behind. At that point, I'll need to plug in my phone (which I don't do in the car nowadays, since my iPhone X goes through a day happily on the nightly charge), and it means I'll probably keep it in the center compartment, under the cover. I hate wires, with passion.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I am waiting for our Carplay update that's supposedly coming really soon. They just released an update with Carplay/AA support for the MY17 Discovery in the UK. We cannot be too far behind. At that point, I'll need to plug in my phone (which I don't do in the car nowadays, since my iPhone X goes through a day happily on the nightly charge), and it means I'll probably keep it in the center compartment, under the cover. I hate wires, with passion.
Are you sure there was AA support?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just keep mine in the door cup where you pull the door closed..it fits my Samsung Note well and I never forget it when I leave...

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
63 Posts
I've got two iOttie phone mounts that I'm pretty happy with.
The one for my primary phone is mounted via suction to the 'wall' to the right of my knee (but well in front of my knee) and it sits the phone in a great spot.

The secondary phone lives up on a vent mount of the same general type.

I've got a random photo that kinda shows both; I'd take a better one to illustrate ease-of-view/-reach for the primary phone, but the Rover is engine out at the dealership awiting a new heart.

(link to photo since it seems cropped on my browser when embedded here)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts