RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very small rock chip on my windsheild and don't want it to spread into a crack. The windsheild is heated and it's a '14 RR ATB SC. Should I have safelite repair it to spread the chip from spreading? Or better to take to dealer? I know often dealers outsource the work so wanted to check to see what the general consensus was. Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a very small rock chip on my windsheild and don't want it to spread into a crack. The windsheild is heated and it's a '14 RR ATB SC. Should I have safelite repair it to spread the chip from spreading? Or better to take to dealer? I know often dealers outsource the work so wanted to check to see what the general consensus was. Thanks!
Do you have a photo? There are many types of chips/pits, dings, bullseye, etc. I actually bought my own glass chip repair kit (different viscosity resins, plastic slides, polish, UV light) and can fix and polish my own minor chips and pits. I only take it to safelite if it requires clean out and suction (bullseye/cracks) -- because those can go either way -- be fixed or crack more at time of suction.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Get it repaired. Insurance company could even pay for it if it's in the line of sight

·
Registered
382 Posts
You present a rather interesting dilemma; DIY, Dealer or Insurance? Hmmmm.

I say option 1 is out. I believe in Capitalism and hiring the right expert for any job. Even if something is simple it only takes one minor slip then you're paying to fix the mistake AND the original issue. :)

Option2, Dealer. Not sure if a chip would be covered under warranty (likely not) but having it done at the dealer (even if a 3rd party vendor) would be easier to deal with in the event there were issues after - i.e. you could just go back to the dealer. SIDE NOTE: There was an issue with the KATS coating on my windshield so the dealer just gave me a new windshield under warranty.

Option 3 is your insurance. This might be the easiest and most cost effective as most Insurance companies have no deductible for windshield repair. Plus they will use a licensed vendor which most likely is the same one the dealer would use.

Drive safely!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I took it to safelite and the tech there advised me that it only broke through the first layer of glass and to not worry about it because it won't spread. It's a small indentation from a rock. Thank you all for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts