RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 RR Sport SC
So I asked my son to attach the vacuum hose to the oil drain tube so we could pump the old oil out and he tried to force a hard plastic piece (that is for the end of the hose that empties into the old oil collection tub) onto the drain tube. The plastic piece broke and a small part of it fell into the oil fill tube. When I look inside, all I can see are the timing chains. No visual on the broken plastic. Here is some more info before I ask for help:

1) I haven't started the engine since the plastic fell in
2) I haven't added oil since the plastic fell in
3) I cannot see the broken piece of plastic - even when I used lighting
4) I have tried using a wet/dry vac to suck the plastic piece out, but no luck. even after modifying the vacuum hose so I could get a small suction tube inside the hole.
5) The plastic piece is approx. 1 inch X 1/4 inch and is fairly hard material (non flexible)
6) I tested the melting point of the broken plastic and it will not melt inside the engine. It didn't melt in my oven at 475

My first instinct tells me to have it towed to the LR shop (which is about 50 miles away)
My second instinct tells me to start the truck. Let it run for a few minutes so the plastic will, hopefully, grind up in the moving parts inside, then hope the filter catches the broken bits. Then change the oil. And maybe change it again after about 1000 miles.

Try to refrain from destroying my son in your comments. It's my fault for not telling him how to hook up the tube.

Thoughts? Advice? How would you deal with this? (or how have you dealt with this?)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Just pull the valve cover and get it out.

Don't start it and hope it grinds up. 95% of the time you will be fine but that 5% causes a lifter or bearingr Journal to clog and bad things happen.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea how to remove the valve cover. I probably should have mentioned in my post that I'm not much of a mechanic. I could probably do it if there were a step by step video for me to follow.

I just got off the phone with the Land Rover dealership service dept. and he told me that as long as the material that fell in is softer than steel, I should be OK to start it then change my oil twice in a month. He said he's seen much worse dropped in the oil fill tube with no problems. So I guess i'm off to change my oil now. wish me luck.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Unfortunately I believe removal of the A/C line is required to remove the left valve cover. I don;t remember if this is for bolt access or if it is fully blocking removal of the cover. If it for bolt acces you may be able to pry the A/C line enough for access. Directions are in the 2007-2010 workshop manual commonly called "RAVE"

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
763 Posts
As low as you have not moved anything the bit will still be near the top somewhere - oil on the components is sticky and it should be lodged up top somewhere - if it did fall lower it should still be visible.

I would get hold of a borescope and go looking. Failing that you need to start removing bits.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
If this truck were mine, I would have towed or trucked to the dealer that removed your oil filter cap. They need to use a borescope to see if the piece is still in the valve train. Most likely, however, since this engine is a XJ derivative where the oil fill sits over the timing chain and is opened to the engine bottom, the piece has fallen to the sump and you will need to have the oil pan dropped.

If you are fortunate, and they find it with a borescope, a really good tech might be able to grab it with an extended claw (not a tool most have in their home toolbox).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts