Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Slowly degrading Transfer Case or other drive train "drag"?

I'm getting a little "drag" when driving and can't find the source. All fluids, oil, diff, transfer case, transmission are fresh and filled properly. No leaking boots on half shafts or CV joints...nothing I can point to in the mid shaft area either. Just did an induction service, fresh plugs, and engine running absolutely perfectly, doesn't burn a drop of oil and idles and revs as smooth as silk. I'm beginning to wonder if at 186K miles on the clock (odometer probably under by 10-15K due to oversized tires) if I'm just getting some normal wear and tear coming from the transfer case. There is a little bit of noise and I can feel a little of the drag thru the Gear selector, sounds like a very gently worn tire, but I've got absolutely fresh tires on (fully inflated) (noise occurs with both 18's and 20's equally). Wheel bearings are rock solid, no play in them at all.

What else could need lubing, greasing anywhere in the drive train. Trying to decide whether to run the risk of replacing the transfer case ( very decent prices at Roverland Parts), but still at $1800 a potentially costly experiment if it doesn't solve the issue?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Re: Slowly degrading Transfer Case or other drive train "dra

All's good with the dreaded EPB?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts

Btw, transfer cases usually indicate they are unhappy by sound first. Bearing whine, bucket of bolts noises etc. Do you hear any of these with the windows open (I know its Houston and most windows stay closed from June -Sept).

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks Goose!

EPB thankfully is not active...the actuator went out several years ago and the fresh brake shoes in there are not close to the drum the last time I checked...however, might be worth a second look to ratchet them all the way in just to be sure.

The very minor noise (bearing only, no bucket of bolts sounds), starts around 40 mph and doesn't increase in volume that I can distinguish even cruising at 70/80/90/100, nothing I think anyone else would even notice....so barely audible even with windows open. It's more evident that it just doesn't "coast" as smoothly and feels like resistance when accelerating or more effort to maintain speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.