RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Over the last couple of weeks our 4.4v8 has started taking longer than usual to kick into life. It used to start instantly on first turn of the key, now at times it will sit and crank for 3-4seconds before it kicks into life.

A couple of times i have also felt a slight shudder after it has started up, although this goes away quickly.

I hooked up the code scanner to it and there are no fault codes stored.

Any idea on likely cause that i should start investigating?

Thanks

Al

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
What is the year/location? The 4.4 can be a BMW or Jag engine... If you add the info to your signature it will help in the future :thumb:

I suspect the shudder you are feeling is because it's not catching on all cylinders strait away. How old is the battery? If you have a battery charger, or a booster pack, hook the charger up overnight and see if it starts better in the morning, or stick the booster (or another running car with jump leads) on and give it a crank. If it starts better then there is your prob.

If that doesn’t improve it then if it's BMW, look towards the coil packs. They can end up sat in oil if the rocker cover gaskets are failing (depending on age) or of the PCV hoses have failed, which they will have by now unless you've had them replaced (BMW only) Initially this just interrupts/weakens the spark but overtime will cause damage.

Next would be fuel pressure, how many miles has the car done, could the fuel pump be getting old and worn, so takes a few seconds to get up to pressure - try leaving the ign on for 5 seconds before trying to crank and see if that makes a difference.

Dan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yeah, 2003 so it's a BMW lump.

Most likely coil pack methinks in that case as i recall the garage mentioning the rocker cover gaskets were leaking slightly at its last service, perhaps this has got worse. Looks like there is a whole load of plastic to remove to get in there though, is there any particular knack to removing it all without breaking anything?

Battery is about a year old, and the car has done about 150,000km so fuel pump will be next on my list to check if the coil packs look good & oil free.

Cheers.

Al

·
Registered
236 Posts
Had this happen a couple of years ago, no fault codes flagged up, I reset the adaptions with my Rovacom lite and have not had the problem since.
Stewart.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For anyone experiencing the same in future and finding this post in a search it turned out to be the fuel filter being clogged that was causing this issue.

New fuel filter and all good once again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts