RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I just noticed this morning that my drivers side, power folding mirror was going slower than the passenger side one when folding in. I didn't pay much mind to it until this afternoon when I went to get back into the car. The drivers side mirror stopped going out all together while the passenger side was out and done moving. I had to press the button again, get it to fold in, then do it another time to get it to go out fully. Again, it was going slow, but it went fully out this time. I've also noticed on some days, when I put the mirrors in/out the passenger side mirror vibrates and squeaks as it moves.

Does this mean that the motor in the mirror(s) is going bad? If so, do i have to replace the entire mirror or is there a separate part that I can get? Is it a simple fix?

Help needed, and btw, I no nothing has happened to it in a car was, I watch them very closely, and make sure to tell them not to pull on the mirror.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Noticed it would happen when the weather would get colder. Was able to get the problem to happen at the dealership and they said it needed a new motor. The new motor and labor put the whole thing at about $900! Effing ridiculous just to get a mirror to fold. Thankfully it was covered by my extended warranty. Maybe some oil would've worked just fine but as long as it's under warranty, I don't mind them replacing parts. Good luck!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the exact same problem. Noticed it would happen when the weather would get colder. Was able to get the problem to happen at the dealership and they said it needed a new motor. The new motor and labor put the whole thing at about $900! Effing ridiculous just to get a mirror to fold. Thankfully it was covered by my extended warranty. Maybe some oil would've worked just fine but as long as it's under warranty, I don't mind them replacing parts. Good luck!
Thanks for your help! I had a feeling that it'd be expensive.. I mean, its a Range Rover.. Lol! Your probably right about the weather because yesterday when it happened, it was cold, and rainy. I guess ill call my local LR dealer and see what they say, but I'm NOT paying $900 for just a mirror (my vehicle is out of warranty). The mirrors can stay out when the car is parked, because to me, its not worth that kind of money.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah I think the next best thing to do is just have the stealership program the folding mirrors to stay unfolded when you lock the car. Although it's cool for them to do that, I agree, it ain't worth $900!

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Unless you take ferries often or live on a narrow single lane with only street parking this option is nothing more than a lame visual. Absolutely nothing is gained by folding the mirrors with every single lock cycle. If you happen to park in a circumstance where it is need you can always manually fold them. I bet you can even do it without breaking a nail. ;-)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I think the next best thing to do is just have the stealership program the folding mirrors to stay unfolded when you lock the car. Although it's cool for them to do that, I agree, it ain't worth $900!
I don't even need to have the dealer program mine! I have a 2008 RRS SC so they don't automatically fold in on lock anyways. I just used to hit the fold button out of habit because theres a lot of people that constantly walk by my vehicle at my school, and I'm worried about someone either not paying attention and bumping into one, hitting it with their bag, or hitting it with another car (hopefully they won't be that close, but nothing surprises me where I live, LOL)

Thanks for all your advice, though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts