RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 08 RRS.

I think I have a slow coolant leak somewhere because I have had to top off the coolant 1 time in approximately 9 months after experiencing loss of heat on the drivers side.

However, I am hesitant to diagnose the problem as a heater core malfunction because both coolant pipes attached to the heater core are hot. It seems like I can swap out the heater core. I'm still not sure if I can maneuver it in/out without removing the console side panel.

Would the fact that both pipes get hot mean that the heater core is functioning just fine?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Re: Driver's side blows only cold air out. Heater works only

BOth pipes being hot only means you have flow, it has nothing to do with the core leaking or not.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Re: Driver's side blows only cold air out. Heater works only

Them both being hot means you have flow, however with the heat on high, one should be cooler than the other, as the heat from it should have been transferred to the air flowing past the core. That said, it's not uncommon for these heater cores to become internally restricted, in which case you still flow through it, but not through all of it.

I have had decent luck back flushing the core(swapping the hoses in under the hood) to clear a partial restriction, but I had also had to replace many for this same issue. Make sure to bleed the system properly after reversing the flow, as it is an easy way to trap air inside the core.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
174 Posts
Napa auto parts sells a de scaling kit for your cooling system. One of the best parts is a set of tees you put inline on the water hoses. The t junction is the right size for a garden hose. This makes flushing the scaling agent out easy. Hopefully it would work for a partially blocked heater core.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts