RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 95 classics. I took them both on a short route around the block which involves a seriously steep hill. I made a marker on the road at the top of the hill.

Faster Rover hit the marker at 40 mph @ 4500 rpm and shifts right at the marker.

Slower Rover hit the marker at 30 mph @ 3900 rpm and shifts way past the marker (at about 4300 rpm).

Both Rovers have about the same mileage. Both have new air filters and fuel filters.

I tweaked the tranny kickdown cable on the slower rover which helped a bit. But it is still about 30% slower than the faster Rover.

The only difference that I know of is that the faster Rover has a new fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, and larger tires while the slower Rover has old wires, plugs and fuel pump and has stock tires. What else could cause the difference in power?

I'm worried that the slower rover has a tired engine and may need replacing at some point!

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Re: Slightly Slower Uphill? A comparison between two rovers.

Seriously? Amongst the pile of differences you note larger tyres. Right there your speedo is off and all info is null and void for any hint of accuracy. Add in the fact that no two rigs are the same, the slower one has a bunch of old maintenace parts and I think you answered your own question.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Seriously? Amongst the pile of differences you note larger tyres. Right there your speedo is off and all info is null and void for any hint of accuracy. Add in the fact that no two rigs are the same, the slower one has a bunch of old maintenace parts and I think you answered your own question.
Yes I noted larger tires. I suspected that larger tires would make the vehicle more sluggish, but it is much faster. Although the speedo is off, the tach isn't and there is clearly a faster vehicle. Also, the tires make the speedo off by about 10% so when I say 40mph, it is more like 44mph and much faster.

All the maintenance items will be taken care of whenever I get my parts in the next couple of days. If the fuel pump could be one culprit, I plan on swapping them. If it is unlikely, I will look at other things like the timing.

What other things could cause such a large discrepancy in performance?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

Fuel pump is pretty much an all or nothign thing. There are many other items in the mix. Have you owned both rigs since new and maintained both since new? If not, then you have no clue the condition of valves, rings, lifters etc. Are the transmissions perfectly matched for use and maintenance? not a chance. Have they been in the same climate since new? doubtful.

I have had matched rigs purchased from the same dealership, same maintenance schedule, same dealership and indie shop maintaining both, driven in the same cities for their entire life and within a few thousand miles of each other on the ODO that were very different in feel. You can get them close, but the two will never be identical for drive, mileage or take off. Heck I can remember my father purchasing twin trucks for his company and often one would get better gas mileage or have better pickup yet he owned, maintained and drove both the same.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You make some good points. I wish I was keeping the rover with the stronger engine, but the other one has too many good things going for it like a working air suspension, and lots of little details that I appreciate :(

I'll start doing tune ups and service everything and hope that helps.

Fuel pump is pretty much an all or nothign thing. There are many other items in the mix. Have you owned both rigs since new and maintained both since new? If not, then you have no clue the condition of valves, rings, lifters etc. Are the transmissions perfectly matched for use and maintenance? not a chance. Have they been in the same climate since new? doubtful.

I have had matched rigs purchased from the same dealership, same maintenance schedule, same dealership and indie shop maintaining both, driven in the same cities for their entire life and within a few thousand miles of each other on the ODO that were very different in feel. You can get them close, but the two will never be identical for drive, mileage or take off. Heck I can remember my father purchasing twin trucks for his company and often one would get better gas mileage or have better pickup yet he owned, maintained and drove both the same.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

Working EAS is one of the easiest thigns on a late classic. Jsut follow the FAQ bits on the P38 forum. FOr all basic bits they are the same system. All trouble shooting and repair advise is the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts