RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
‘11 RRS SC. 85k miles. Of course the first thing I get scared of is... tensioners.

Weve always run a minimum of 91 octane and have for the last couple oil changes started halving the recommended interval as I’ve read and been told that can stave off disaster.

Im due for air filters, but all other service is completely up to date ad is done by a dealer (including oil changes) as I’m scared to work on it.

I’ve got an iCarsoft I can run codes with but the MIL isn’t on and only other code I’ve seen is a front bag is ready to be replaced.

The alternator is also due. I’ve got the part, but just haven’t taken the time to install. I don’t think that would cause a mild stumble, would it?

Thanks for any input.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Have you ever serviced your throttle body? Carbon build up will prevent the throttle plate from seating cleanly. This in turn means the TPS is never quite giving an accurate reading and the air fuel mixture is not quite right and do not match what the ECU thinks it should be.

Remove the air intake hose and spray the intake and plate with intake cleaner and carefully wipe with a lint free rag. manually open the throttle plate and repeat. Do this until the intake and plate are shiny and there is no hint of dark residue.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
If it's only rough at idle, then I would suspect the alternator could be the culprit...it won't be charging enough at idle. Worth a shot for sure before speculating on the diagnosis to replace it and see if there are any changes.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Alternator output at idle is easy to test with voltmeter - if less than 12.6v is read at the battery this could be part of problem - but cleaning throttle body is good idea as well. I run a bottle of Techron through the fuel tank before every oil change.

·
Registered
480 Posts
+1 on the alternator; +1 on cleaning the throttle bores and plates; might look into a new fuel filter; clean the MAF sensors. Air fllters?

May actually be time for new plugs. Never trust 100K miles for plugs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys rock. Thank you so much. Should all be easy peasy.

My my wife loves this thing, so I want to keep up with everything. I’ll report back after I’ve cleaned up the intake stuf and swapped the alternator.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you need to be careful of any electronic bits within the throttle body? Or can you just go to town with carb cleaner? My last vehicle (not a land Rover) was very fidgety and a throttle body cleaning every 6 months or so really straightened things out. But I had to use MAF cleaner and be super careful because if you fudged up the throttle position sensor you were done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts