RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the car without the front drive shaft. Part of the U-Joints was still there but the driveshaft just ripped out since the previous owner never changed the u-joints. I was able to find a good condition front driveshaft for pretty much free since the guy was parting out his car. I had the front driveshaft and u-joints and inpsected and everything looks good. NOW, when I drive, i do feel a vibration(slight) but only when I let go of the accelerator. EXAMPLE:

1. I start off from a red light and get up to about 60mph (NO VIBRATION)
2. I then start slowing down using NO BRAKES just coasting and thats when I get the vibration still about 30mph
3. Around 30mph I start slowing down and braking and (NO VIBRATION)

Is this normal, everything was checked, front diff, transfer case, u-joints. everything is solid.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Re: slight vibration from the front driveshaft when coasting??

No it's not normal, did you check the balance of the drive shaft?

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts

You need to take it to a drive line shop. I have had this issue on a toyota truck I purchased some time ago, it turned out to be the drive shaft. I took it to Bob drive line by me and they took care of it.

Scotty

·
Registered
640 Posts

One thing worth checking is has the shaft sliding joint been removed at sometime and refitted out of line, both joints should be lined up. I don't know if manufactures still do it but if you look closely at the the sliding joint you may see to small arrows marked on the shaft which should line up when assembled.

Just a thought.

Cheers

·
Registered
442 Posts

Col said:
One thing worth checking is has the shaft sliding joint been removed at sometime and refitted out of line, both joints should be lined up. I don't know if manufactures still do it but if you look closely at the the sliding joint you may see to small arrows marked on the shaft which should line up when assembled.

Just a thought.

Cheers
With the front props they are spose to be out of alighnment, the rear prop are in line :think: get new unis fitted good quality H/Duty, see recent posts or search ,and get rebalanced.
Check output shaft slops in transfer,common bearing wear causes vibration,get your rear propshaft done as well with new unis as its being on one shaft for a while.
Tyre balance and rotation would be my first thing and a wheel alighnment.
Are the vibration dampers still fitted to the dif a 7inch circumfrence lead weight on a rubber mounted bracket bolted to the rear and front diffs?

·
Registered
640 Posts

Selby P38 said:
With the front props they are spose to be out of alighnment,
Stange first time I have ever heard of a Manufacturer Deliberately assembling a propshaft out of alignment, are you saying they can go together in any position?

Cheers

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

im brining it in today, $25 to balance. This doesnt make sensne tho, as long as it will line up where the teeth on the spline are, its fine, isnt it??

·
Registered
442 Posts

Col said:
Selby P38 said:
With the front props they are spose to be out of alighnment,
Stange first time I have ever heard of a Manufacturer Deliberately assembling a propshaft out of alignment, are you saying they can go together in any position?

Cheers
Col don't know if they can go in any posi but i know if you look and compare your rear and front shafts the yoke on the front if O/E should be 45deg out of alighn approx! There was a post recently talking about it why i guess the engineers took in account that the same props in line may resonate and thus they put the front one out of alighnment and balanced to compensate resonace or vibration .Eg cooling fans for cars arn't the same as if they were you would hear a resonance sound as they are spinning with the same fan pitch.Thats why one of the resons they use two different fans!
I know the originial butchered shaft from my car and the replacement are both the same offset unlike other 4X4 eg land cruisers which have yokes in phase front and back!
Some one will alabirate more ,i threw the old shaft out, should of pulled the spline out to se if it had a one locating spline or if it was adjustable?
Most re-balancers if the spline is slightly worn will do a 180 deg rotation and re-balance

JaguarS4R said:
im brining it in today, $25 to balance. This doesnt make sensne tho, as long as it will line up where the teeth on the spline are, its fine, isnt it??
Get it done properly and replace the unis as well they only have a life of 4 to 5 years every 100KLM should be replaced,you are only rebalancing **** :thumb:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

another question, while the front driveshaft is out, is it OK to drive w/o the front driveshaft? Since I drove over 1000miles with them 2 weeks ago??

·
Registered
226 Posts

could be either the TC or front diff, with the front drive shaft out and the truck in neutral try wiggling the flanges side to side on both the TC and the diff

Sure it's not tire/wheel balance related? look for excessive feathering on the outside edge of the front tires

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

This is why I think its the driveshaft:

When I didnt have the front driveshaft in, I checked the TC and front diff and had a shop look at it and NO loose parts, nothing. Felt very sold and strong and NO VIBRATION AT ALL, SUPER SMOOTH.

Then I added the front driveshaft and thats when I got the vibration. Like I said, the vibration when coasting feels like un balanced/ unaligned tires but I can feel the vibration from my left foot which is where the front diff. is. If it were the tires, id feel it w/o the driveshaft as well but never did.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Jag,

I had the exact same symptoms last winter. I searched the heck out of the forum and deduced it was the U joints. I bought all new U joints and bolts, then had a driveline shop remove, rebalance and replace with my new parts for $200 USD. All is well and no more vibration.

If I am right, you will keep going like this for awhile, then it will get worse. After a dozen days of the vibration at slow down, you will actually start to get it at acceleration from mid range speed to highway speed. Then you know you are toast and you'd better have ordered the parts and sourced your best local driveline shop.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

thanks, im going to do the u-joints then, napa has them for $25each, but even though the u-joints feels nice and strong both on and off the car and no play, its still the u-joints... huh?

·
Registered
150 Posts

Yep. I mean there is the variable that it was ONLY the driveshaft balancing (which was done when he was changing the Ujoints), but doubtful. I asked him how far out of balance both shafts were and he said they really weren't bad. He normally only gets a huge adjustment when some "goofball offroader" bangs them up. Funny, I don't normally worry about my driveshafts when offroad. I amused him with "ooohhhh, wow, you have really seen it all" comments just to get thru the 1 hour repair and on my way.

Art in San Jose

·
Registered
442 Posts

Jaguar, just get the unis fitted and balaned and fit all new nuts T/F side and nuts and bolts Diff side and post back with the result :thumb:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

actually good thing yu brought up the T/F case nuts and bolts, is it OK, that 1 of the 4 nuts and bolts on the t/c side is the other way around. (3) of them are original with 3 bolts sticking out and the nuts over them, however, I wasnt able to get to the 4th since the old driveshaft that fell off shaved part of the bolt and nut so the bolt was too short and wasnt even able to get a nut to screw on to it, so I had more nuts and bolt (the same original ones from the other RR that I got the front driveshaft out) and since in order to squeeze the bolt in from the other side, you have to loosen that HUGE NUT in the transfer case which I didnt want to do, so I just shaved off that old bad bolt and reinserted the new bolt but going to other way around, so backwards. So (3) of them are all OK, the 4th is tightned the other way around, thats fine right, that wouldnt be an issue for my vibration, would it?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts

You never advised if the harmonic damper was attached to front diff although if no vibes w/o shaft that doesn't seem, likely. Like Selby, our range has off spline front u joints. I have not taken mine apart to see if they can be assembled in any or only one position. Could you advise what you find when you remove and change your u joints. A good point is whether the splines are worn on the sliding joint of the front driveshaft and have the flanges been checked for runout as they are rotated. There seems to some controversy about the longer term affect on the VC unit when running only one driveshaft so I look forward to your findings,

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

ok, here are pics I just took, you can see the driveshaft end at the transfer case where one of the 4 bolts I did backwards bc I had to:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts