RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a pair of sliders from LeftLaneTruckin (Martin) and finally completed the install. I had the passenger side slider tapped for extra air capacity. Martin put in an airline that is hooked into the air tank and a quick-connect fitting for connecting an air hose for tools or airing up tire. I will do a test on the capacity at another time. The sliders provide great protection for the door sills. They fit very close to the body of the truck and do not provide a platform for standing. They are fitted with grade 8 hardware and are very stout. For the price, these are unbeatable. :thumb:

Martin sent all the necessary hardware with the sliders already tapped for air. He included the quickconnect, airline and male-male fitting as well.

Here is a pic of me test fitting the slider with a jack

Pics of them on the truck - drivers and passengers side

Here is a pic of the air fittings. You can see the three-way fitting, the airline tapped into the slider and the quick-connect fitting. The 3-way fitting goes into the air tank, the slider and the original airline. If the slider starts leaking for any reason, the 3-way valve can be taken off and the original airline hooked back up the airtank. I did not have to cut the original airline and just zip-tied the slack out of the way.

Close-up of the quickconnect fitting near the rear tire. I may fit a cover to keep it from getting dirty. I am thinking of a some rubber hose to fit over the connection. It may be vulnerable, but I will take the risk for now.

Let me know if you have any questions. Martin did a great job and does good work. If you are interested in getting these sliders, you can PM him.

Also, you can see my new Bridgestone Revo2s 265/70 16s. Great tires.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Those are just bitchin! Nice work.

Question: any way to determine air pressure in the slider/tank?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Nice write up.

Shupack had a Gauge kit for that use.
I've one too in my shop.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,240 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Ted!
Chris,
The pressure in the sliders will be the same as the tank, so if you have a gauge for the tank, the slider will be the same :thumb:
I worked it out to roughly 1.8 gallons of added capacity.

Martin

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ah, that's what I figured but wasn't quite sure exactly how the pressure was monitored. Since I'm on coils I don't get to have any compressor fun, although I am planning on resurrecting the compressor for OBA duties at least. So where do you typically have the gauge located? Plumbed back into the cabin or externally?

Martin, what did you end up using as the final topcoat on the sliders?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Chris X said:
Ah, that's what I figured but wasn't quite sure exactly how the pressure was monitored. Since I'm on coils I don't get to have any compressor fun, although I am planning on resurrecting the compressor for OBA duties at least. So where do you typically have the gauge located? Plumbed back into the cabin or externally?

Martin, what did you end up using as the final topcoat on the sliders?
Mine is in the cabin near the A pillar.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,240 Posts
IIRC Hammered finish Rustoleum is the top coat. Also used @3 coats of primer under them.

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I also have a set of Martins sliders and his rear bumper and I must say EXCELLENT work Martin... :clap: :clap:
and thank you..

Scotty

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,240 Posts
Scotty said:
I also have a set of Martins sliders and his rear bumper and I must say EXCELLENT work Martin... :clap: :clap:
and thank you..

Scotty
Thanks Mate :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
86 Posts
Those are nice sliders, not sure why you'd need air in them tho, are they expensive?:think:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
The air pressure keeps them form collapsing when you go over larger rocks. Without the air pressure they would dent much easier.

·
Registered
86 Posts
OK, that makes more sense. thanks for the fast response! :thumb: Cheers.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,240 Posts
Oh dear, air pressure to stop them from denting huh?:lol:
I tapped them for air to increase the tanks capacity by @1.8 gallons, and give a 1/4" quick connect to fill from an air line etc. Its optional though, so no biggie to me;-)
If there is enough interest, I will make a set. Looks like one very interested party already, so may be making a set anyways. It is just more cost effective for me to make 2 or 3 sets instead of just one....Bolts are cheaper more you buy, as is the steel etc too.

Martin

·
Registered
267 Posts
I thought you'd filled them with air to make them lighter and add bouyancy for wading ;-)

Seriously though, they look very good.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would love to see a lot more pictures. Especially the attachment points. Did they come with sleeves to keep the frame from crushing when tightened?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts