RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my 2016 RRS on October 24, 2015. My wife thinks it's sad that I know the exact date. I didn't argue with her.

Anyway, here are some some random thoughts from the past six months.

7776.jpg

Mileage: 9,111 miles. On pace for 18,222 this year and 109,332 after six.

Specs:
SCV8 Dynamic
Dark Grey Oak Wood Trim
Cirrus headliner
Meridian Signature
22" 5-spoke rims
Tow Package
6 year, 100,000 mile LR extended warranty

Previous vehicle: 2008 Acura MDX
Others considered: BMW X5 xDrive35 and xDrive50, Porsche Macan S, Porsche Cayenne S

Add-ons:
Painted rocker panels and front and rear bumpers
Xpel ultimate clear bra
Opticoat pro+

-Really like the xpel + opticoat combination. It's a must have for me now for any new vehicle.
-For maintenance I use Optimum no-rinse wash and shine for washes every 3-4 weeks. I use Sonax and the same wash for the wheels. The opticoat installer recommended doing Iron-X once a year for decontamination.
-For touch-ups (i.e. bugs on front after highway driving) in between washes, I use Zaino Z-6 spray.
-It's amazing how quickly the rear of the vehicle gets dirty. Even after a single rain.

-I've been asked twice what kind of aftermarket exhaust I'm running.
-I actually broke the car in properly for the first 2,000 miles. Had 5.0 across the board on the eco screen.
-It took me about four months to realize you could run Sport mode without having to use the paddles.
-I probably can get the hands-free tailgate to work maybe half of the time.
-I've only seen one other Firenze red L494 in the wild. It was on I-95 with NC plates. We ended up side by side and gave each other a wave and thumbs up.

-It's not an issue for me, but the cargo area is really small. This is my daily driver and I rarely have anything to carry back there aside from groceries, but I don't know how people with more than one kid can use this as a family hauler on out of town trips without a carrier on the roof.
-If we had a la carte ordering like the UK, these are options I'd like: twin blade sunvisors, blind spot monitoring, and surround camera system. These weren't mandatory options so I didn't want to spring for the $2620 and $1400, respectively.
-Extended leather would be nice too, really poor timing that LR took it away on tan and pimento SCV8 dynamics for 2016.
-I park 99% of the time in a garage at home and work, so that's how I can live in Florida and not need cooled seats.

-I wish they would make the cut out larger in the solar attenuating part of the windshield to allow a radar detector to mount that high.
-I'm awaiting the release of the Radenso HD+ remote radar detector. Apparently they are going to release a bluetooth version that will not require crossing the engine fire wall with wires. Cobra has one out already but the reviews aren't that great.

-The buying experience was so-so. Not as bad as others' experiences I've read on the forum. Dealer acted like my best friend before buying the vehicle but after taking delivery the sales people disappeared.
-Fortunately I have not had to see what the service department is like yet.
-I'm going to sign up for the LR pre-paid plan before my first service this Fall. Going with the 4 years. I asked the dealer what the usual charges were for the first four years and it makes sense now that the first service isn't free.

With that said here are "issues" I've experienced:
-Sometimes pushing passenger side window toggle once down or up only moves slightly then stops. It acts like it I hit it twice really quickly, once to move and once to stop, but of course I didn't. Driver side window does not have this issue. I won't bring this up to the dealer because it rarely happens, and I don't want them ripping my door apart.
-Once while driving, my stereo stopped suddenly and replaced the music with a loud buzzing. I turned off the stereo, after which the screen rebooted to the LR disclaimer screen, and then worked fine afterwards. My TFT dash and the drive were unaffected.
-I have the brake squeal that seems to get worse with time.
-Probably 25% of the time I will have the musty odor when I turn on the A/C.
-0 check engine lights thankfully.

-I got an invitation from the service department for a free inspection and free fluid top-off. I'll take them up on their offer next month and have them address the brake squeal and musty odor, as well as any outstanding bulletins.
-I'm hoping for a Jaguar loaner.

-Just mounted a dash cam today. I will run it from the cigarette lighter for the week and see if I like it before going through the trouble of hard wiring it. Will post pictures and details on a separate thread.

-I posted in another thread about my kool-aid theory and how ownership of this vehicle has ruined me for any other. It's far, far away but after my warranty is out in 2021, it will be interesting to see what's out there. If this vehicle is rock-solid I may ride it out. As for replacements eventually, I suspect the choices will be between a full size V6 diesel and a sport V8.

-Thanks for making this forum informative and fun to be a part of. Most of the people I know in real life would never consider buying a Land Rover, so it's nice to have people to relate to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
awesome review and love the Firenze red choice. I would have gone with one of the reds, but they didn't have any on the lot. we've only put about 400 miles on our 16 SC Dynamic, but absolutely loving it. such an immense improvement over the previous generation. there's certainly plenty of things I think they could have done better (infotainment for sure, lack of full leather), but the things they got right more than make up for these minor foibles. namely, the ride/handling balance (incredible for such a large truck), the interior quality (test drove a used one and was amazed at how well screwed together everything was after 20,000 miles - no squeaks or rattles) and that V8 beastly motor coupled with the 8-speed ZF trans (awesome combo - responsive at any speed).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Great Post Hodog!! I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your Sport and wish you many more happy miles :thumb:

It's awesome lookin' too by the way!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Great post Hodog16. Im really glad to see your happy on your purchase. I test drove the limited edition stealth pack supercharged dynamic while my RRS was in for its first oil change. My god is that supercharged dynamic a beast. I was literally blown away on the power and pick up. The 5.0 is seriously a animal. But at the end of the day my diesel is good for me as I enjoy a comfortable and relax cruising and also the gas mileage in nyc is good for me. As for the break squeal mine is finally gone thank god. I really started hating the vehicle as it was in shop for good month just for brakes!! Cant blame the car but the service center finally resolved it after replacing the brake system in whole lol made me laugh but hey at 5000 miles got new brakes cant argue with that. Currently at 6013 miles and its a beauty the diesel does deliver amazing / more than I ever imagined. Good luck Hodog16 wish you many many happy miles with your RRS enjoy my friend :+1:

·
Registered
67 Posts
My similar issues:
I have also had the radio buzzing sounds, happened once or twice. Has not happened again.
Brakes (brembos) squeak a lot. Will address but do not want it in shop for 1 month....
I also get the musty HVAC odor but probably not 25% of the time, perhaps 10-15%

Otherwise, **** nice SUV and I too feel that I am now ruined for any other!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great review Hodog16, thanks for posting. Have 6000 miles on my td6, and agree w a lot of your observations. Luckily for me no brake squeal (non-brembo) or HVAC smell. Agree most annoying thing for me I think is keeping back of car clean. Also, now that it is spring, the windshield seems to be a magnet for bugs that make big splats. It's proven hard to keep the windshield clean of the glue-like bug splatter. On the inside, the seat does not always fully go back to the correct memory position every time. No issues with the stereo though. My buying experience was actually really good and dealer was great w the few issues that came up in the first month. I am strongly considering getting the extended warranty (8 years / 100k miles) for $3250 as I totally love this car/truck and see myself wanting to keep it for at least this amount of time/miles. The diesel is a nice combo of low end torque/rumble, smooth ride, power when you need it and mileage (getting 28 mpg and consistently going 600+ miles per tank).

2016 RRS HSE TD6

·
Registered
268 Posts
Great review Hodog16, thanks for posting. Have 6000 miles on my td6, and agree w a lot of your observations. Luckily for me no brake squeal (non-brembo) or HVAC smell. Agree most annoying thing for me I think is keeping back of car clean. Also, now that it is spring, the windshield seems to be a magnet for bugs that make big splats. It's proven hard to keep the windshield clean of the glue-like bug splatter. On the inside, the seat does not always fully go back to the correct memory position every time. No issues with the stereo though. My buying experience was actually really good and dealer was great w the few issues that came up in the first month. I am strongly considering getting the extended warranty (8 years / 100k miles) for $3250 as I totally love this car/truck and see myself wanting to keep it for at least this amount of time/miles. The diesel is a nice combo of low end torque/rumble, smooth ride, power when you need it and mileage (getting 28 mpg and consistently going 600+ miles per tank).

2016 RRS HSE TD6
Jason,

A few things:

1) You don't have to rush out and buy the extended warranty. It can be purchased any time before the end of the standard four year warranty. Yes, it would be cheaper to purchase it now (by about $1000), but I would make sure that you are going to keep the vehicle more than four years before you go out and drop $3-$4K on an extended warranty. Yeah, many of us think that we are going to drive them until the "wheels fall off" but in three years time probably more than 70% of us will be upgrading to newer models or something different. Lots can happen to vehicles in four years time. Personally I would rather wait until the last minute before pluking down any more cash. Just my two cents.

2) A trick for cleaning these windscreens is to buy a bottle of Invisible Glass and mix in some 70-90% alcohol. That is what I do and the windscreen is spotless each and every time. But use a "waffle" microfibre cleaning towel.

3) No brake squeal or HVAC smell in mine either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nadurra, thanks for the tips on glass cleaning! Re: the warranty, I prob will wait a little longer (price the same up to a year into ownership I think), but my reasoning for getting it in year one at cheaper price is that I typically keep cars for 6 years or so and I will be out of warranty before 3 years is up (drive approx 18k miles/year).

2016 RRS HSE TD6

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Two more things I forgot to mention:
-I actually don't mind the infotainment system aside from it being slow. The only other funny thing is when searching for music in a playlist, if I search for a letter it returns a few letters down the alphabet. In other words if I type "M" it will show "P" artist's songs.
-Others have mentioned this happening to them, but every now and then the gas pump will prematurely cut off flow after a few seconds. Usually I have to change the depth for it to work. It happened today and was pretty annoying as it took me 5-6 times for the gas to finally keep flowing.

I'll let you guys know how things go with the service dealer. I'm with Steve though I'm not wanting to have my vehicle sit in the shop for a month!

·
Registered
268 Posts
For the musty smell, does it happen after you've opened her up and had some fun? I've noticed a musty sulfur smell which I'm sure is being burnt from the fuel.
This "sulfur smell" happens on the SCV6 as well. I've noticed it, but it's different from the HVAC smell that some claim.

The sulfur smell that you are experiencing is the catalytic converters...very common in lots of car brands. It's indicative of a "rich" fuel mixture. That smell is unburnt fuel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This "sulfur smell" happens on the SCV6 as well. I've noticed it, but it's different from the HVAC smell that some claim.

The sulfur smell that you are experiencing is the catalytic converters...very common in lots of car brands. It's indicative of a "rich" fuel mixture. That smell is unburnt fuel.
yep, this is most common when the car is cold. it should smell like a snowmobile / ATV or other powerstport toy that doesn't have catalytic converters (esp. in winter / cold weather). catalytic converters aren't effective until they're warmed up (hence why cold start sequence richens the fuel mixture (to heat up the exhaust pipes) and increases the RPMs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
yep, this is most common when the car is cold. it should smell like a snowmobile / ATV or other powerstport toy that doesn't have catalytic converters (esp. in winter / cold weather). catalytic converters aren't effective until they're warmed up (hence why cold start sequence richens the fuel mixture (to heat up the exhaust pipes) and increases the RPMs.
Exactly.

I think that JLR runs their engines a bit on the rich side - especially in the V8s. That is how they induce that cool "burble burble burble" sound when you let off the accelerator. The downside of that is the rotten-eggs smell when the cats are cold.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Mine is a 2015.5 ATB but am about 120 miles shy of your mileage. This my second L494 V8 but I traded my first one at 6500 miles, didn't even get to the one year mark, so I can't even say much about how the drive changed if at all. On this one I just about a month away from crossing the 1st anniversary. I am curious if you have noticed the car get better and better. Somehow it feels like it drives better now than it did before. I started noticing around 8K miles car feels better even the suspension feels a bit more compliant in normal mode. I don't know if its my imagination though. Another thing I noticed is after my first free oil change around 7200 miles, I was a little over filled but now it shows exactly full and wondering if it just burned off the excess. Judging by how much it had actually dropped in the first 7200 miles which was barely, its a bit dramatic that the over filled oil seems to have completely disappeared so quickly. Otherwise I have to say this a fantastic vehicle and am really loving it. :clap:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine is a 2015.5 ATB but am about 120 miles shy of your mileage. This my second L494 V8 but I traded my first one at 6500 miles, didn't even get to the one year mark, so I can't even say much about how the drive changed if at all. On this one I just about a month away from crossing the 1st anniversary. I am curious if you have noticed the car get better and better. Somehow it feels like it drives better now than it did before. I started noticing around 8K miles car feels better even the suspension feels a bit more compliant in normal mode. I don't know if its my imagination though. Another thing I noticed is after my first free oil change around 7200 miles, I was a little over filled but now it shows exactly full and wondering if it just burned off the excess. Judging by how much it had actually dropped in the first 7200 miles which was barely, its a bit dramatic that the over filled oil seems to have completely disappeared so quickly. Otherwise I have to say this a fantastic vehicle and am really loving it. :clap:
What happened to your first one?

I noticed some cars do indeed get better overall as time goes by. The only car maker in my opinion where this isn't the case, are the upper engines from Mercedes Benz. I haven't driven super cars, but most of their beefy engines have been broken in prior to being sent out. Basically you get a care that's ready to just push :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nightmarish experience of the nasty bitter cousin of an orange variety. :twisted: JLR bought it back and I took a chance on my current ATB and s far I am happy I did because I'd have missed out if I didn't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts