RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello,

I was working underneath the car when I accidentally caught and pulled a single black wire.
One end is connected to the engine mount(left side) and so is grounded. The other end has a black plastic, 90 degree, female spade connector attached, with the word “Amps” on it. The wire is about 16 inches long.

This is the left side of the engine bay when looking at the front of the car. Looking around the engine bay, the only male spade connector I can see (in range) is on the amplifier on the distributor. I haven’t attached it as I don’t want to burn anything out in that area.

The question is, where was it connected, if even it was connected at all. Does anyone have a similar ground wire in this location

The engine works fine. The car is a 1993 LSE 4.2ltr Range Rover harddash.

Thanks

NKG

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
if it was a single wire connected to an engine mount, it is certainly not original.
Go get your multimeter and check the earth of your engine's usual supects such as potentiometer, airflow meter etc.
If you are satisfied, leave it alone. If not, make a decent earth.

it might just be some previous owners fancy spotlights connector

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. Theengine is grounded by a large flat cable to the back of the engine. The components hanging off the engine allseem to have their grounds in place too.

Also, I said in the original post left side. That was a mistake, it is the right side whenlooking at the engine

cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
So got the new fan clutch and put it on today. Still overheating. iR therm shows rad is cooling well. Therm housing slowly heats up. It will get up to 240f. Then I think I start to get steam and overheat. I do get a gurgling sounds still. Coolant level does not change. I have tried to bleed by loosening the bolt at the top of the radiator.

Taking thermostat out and going to rebleed the system. Should not be this hard.

Any other ides you want to through out there

·
Registered
401 Posts
Consider changing the radiator. These thing don't last forever and I suspect the original don't have much spare cooling capacity as it is.

Radiators do not need to be expensive if you go with aftermarket aluminum and relatively easy to change out.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
3 Posts
Hi NKG, I confirm that this is to the ignition amplifier. The black 90 degree female connector goes on the amplifier. I attach a pic of a '93 LWB NAS that I was stripping in the junkyard. You can see it connected. Everything on this engine was factory still. And for reference, the other end of this short wire (I think 8-10 gauge) attaches on the same bolt as the ground strap coming from the ignition coil (another pic). I hope this clarifies a bit.
IMG_5413.JPG IMG_5415.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts