RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I recently purchased a 2004 U.S. L322 and am compiling a thick stack of the former owner's dealer service invoices into a single document for reference. All straightforward with one exception...

At the 75,000 Mile Service the invoice simply lists "2 liters STC4861 Oil - Transmission."

(STC4861 = "transfer case oil" per Mr. Google.)

If a fluid change, this doesn't jive with any 75K service listed in the owner's manual, so I wasn't sure if this dealt with the transfer case or possibly a front/rear differential (transmission seemed unlikely). Or why one component was singled out for that matter when no drivetrain fluid changes are officially called for, other than motor oil. Any insight? Somewhat moot in that I'll likely change out all fluids including transmission anyway, just curious what that cryptic 75K entry was about.

Thanks.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
Particularly strange as the NV225 has a fluid capacity of only 1 litre.

There's no mention of the transfer box lip seals being replaced, due to the owner complaining about oil leaks, or anything like that?

Phil

·
Registered
53 Posts
When we replaced our transfer case, the new dry one took 1.5 L. I have a 2012 L322, newer but many technical processes are the same. I know some ppl flush a new L through the tcase before filling it completely with new fluid which might explain the 2L, or maybe it just means 2 were ordered. It's a good idea to order extra in case it gets spilled etc. If the truck shifts well I wouldn't worry much.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
323 Posts
Indeed - one would need to purchase 2x 1L bottles to replace the transfer case fluid (you'd have 1/2 bottle left over). However my search for that number came up with a Britpart Glass Cleaner (!)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In retrospect, an obvious question I should ask, is the transfer case the only drivetrain component that uses STC4861?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
The fluid capacity of the Magna Steyr DD295 transfer box is 1.5 litres – LR specify Shell TF 0753 fluid (p/n IYK 500010).

The fluid capacity of the New Venture Gear NV225 unit is 1 litre – LR specify Castrol BOT26 FMB1 75W-90 fluid (p/n STC4861).

The fluid for the New Venture unit was formulated by Castrol to give the required friction characteristics for the Torsen Type B centre differential so, no, it isn’t used elsewhere in the vehicle.

Phil

·
Administrator
27,799 Posts
Phil bet me to it!

Long and short, do not confuse the BOT26 FMB1 for the transfer case with the LT 71141 for the transmission. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, thanks for that confirmation on where STC4861 is exclusively used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts