RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just have to say I am very impressed with this company so far Powerspark Ignition LTD... simonbbc.com. I ordered this dizzy and ignition relocation kit for my 93 LWB County with a 4.2 on Tuesday and it arrived today Thursday and it came all the way from England! Not to mention the price was about $185 US shipped way cheaper than the Pertronix or actually ordering all the pieces and rebuilding it yourself. It would have been cheaper if I had not ordered the relocation kit, but it was way worth it.

The relocation kit was simple to install although it lacked instructions but it was kind of self explanatory. The fact that the ignition module is now on the fender is awesome for future repairs. The distributor went on with out a problem. Best part was that it fired up on the first key turn. So far I am loving everything about it. I can give an up date later once I have miles on it.

simonbbc.com/d2-r5-Powerspark-lucas-35d-electronic-distributor-for-rover-v8-with-female-drive-gear/

simonbbc.com/powerspark-ignition-v8-module-relocation-kit-including-module-harness/

Let me know who else has this setup and let me know how it has been working out for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've mentioned these kits a few time in threads about hard starts or hot engine issues. Simon BBC has a very good reputation over here in the UK. Their outlet is in my town and its an amazing cave of everything ignition you could think of. I paid just under £50 GBP for my kit a couple of years ago (inc the amplifier) so the price of 185 shipped might seem a bit high but well worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You've lost me there Sir.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Deductive reasoning
Would make that mean
...now get this....
He’s advertising
Get it...,
He did it on another site
In your yard...
This what I see

·
Registered
583 Posts
But on that site they have more class I guess
And deleted it
Hint hint
Wink wink
Nod nod

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not at all, not advertising at all. I did it in all the Land Rover Sites I am registered to because I am truly impressed with everything about this. I don’t care who believes me. I honestly was having a hard time deciding which route to take, whether Pertronix or this and I chose this. I am glad I did. Just want people to have an informed choice. The only reason all my posts look the same is because I am to lazy to rewrite them. Sorry for giving the wrong impression either here or anywhere else.

·
Registered
583 Posts
So you have had your Rover since it was new, you live somewhere in the world , you put this fantastic
One of a kind , bestest ever ..,
Distributor ..relocation kit on yer rover...
And your like wow man super excited to share this most bestest thingy ever in the whole world
That your just now signing up to share this everyone
:unsure:
I could be wrong
.......but......:whistle:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never said i had it since new. I bought it in July. This is my first ever Rover. I began to have issues with it about a week after I got it home and my distributor died along with the ignition module. I researched all over all three forums I am registered to and could not find much info on what was best to use. No body gave a rave review about their experience with any of them. I came across someones post about the relocation kit and decided to look into it. I saw that they had good prices and closer to my budget but they were out of England I am in the US. I have heard mixed reviews about people having trouble with returns and what mot from buying parts directly from there. This is the reason for such a rave review I wanted to share how pleasant my experience was and how good it has been working. So I can help other people who can’t decide which route to take. I am sorry you are taking this the wrong way and that you are making me out to be something that I am not but if this is the way I will get treated for trying to help others out than I just keep doing my research behind the scenes and that’s it. Really didn’t think I would be catching this much grief.

·
Registered
81 Posts
and breathe...Well at the end of the day the relocation kit is good.
I'm surprised that the USA has to resort to buying stuff from the UK.

Is there not a strong after markets supply chain in the US?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is, but the mark ups are high. I had seen one of your posts about the relocation kit and that is how I found the distributor as well. I figured I could just get everything from them and gave them a shot. The price was right in my budget.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not withstanding covert advertisement, SimonBBC offers really good drop in products for a decent price. There are limited options available for the Rover V8 and any feedback from members of this forum is a good thing. If you are not considering option available in the UK you are missing out. Land Rover has a huge support base in the UK. I even buy my oil filters in the UK (I live in Texas), much cheaper and in some cases quicker shipping than domestic options.

On the other hand since the Rover V8 started life a a Buick 215 there are US options available if you are willing to do a little bit of research and make some mechanical change and swap out the drive gear. The oil pump engagement is different for those years where the oil pump is driven by the distributor. Millennials would call it 'a hack' I think.

You can get HEI options in the USA which are really good, there is even an MSD option complete with ignition boxes.

In my case I installed a throttle body EFI and ended up controlling the ignition through a locked out and modified MSD distributor (took 30 minutes to modified). The EFI timing integration is very involved and not for everybody. I think the easiest non standard (Lucas/Petronix/Simon BBC) option is probably a HEI disctributor like a Davis Unified. Petronix makes one as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
JS5D
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing