RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, AT&T’s connected car website won’t take my vin #, it gives me an error on sign up every time that I enter it. Does anybody have any experience just picking up an data micro sim from AT&T (adding the card to my current account) and just popping it in? It seems like that would work..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't see why not, I used to have a RRS17 and I did add the ATT SIM that came with my car to my ATT account, I remember doing all the process from the vehicle screen. Since then I traded the RRS for a 2018 RR V8, and dumped ATT altogether, I installed a data SIM car from T-Mobile and works fine in 4G.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see why not, I used to have a RRS17 and I did add the ATT SIM that came with my car to my ATT account, I remember doing all the process from the vehicle screen. Since then I traded the RRS for a 2018 RR V8, and dumped ATT altogether, I installed a data SIM car from T-Mobile and works fine in 4G.
Thanks for that. The installed card provides only 3G. I'll drop a LTE AT&T sim in the 2018 RRS tonight and report back after. I suspect that the sim provided by the dealer is an old chipset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The AT&T store was baffled and couldn't really help so I tried the web site again, and this time, it magically worked. Looks like $20 a month and the first three months free. To bad it is just 3G instead of LTE. I would be using as a slow WiFi spot, but at least my love traffic and remote start will work.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
The AT&T store was baffled and couldn't really help so I tried the web site again, and this time, it magically worked. Looks like $20 a month and the first three months free. To bad it is just 3G instead of LTE. I would be using as a slow WiFi spot, but at least my love traffic and remote start will work.

Remote start should work anyway from what I have heard. I will delete my free hotspots later to confirm.

As for AT&T has anyone been able to add their car/sim card to a business account. The AT&T person said that only consumer and prepaid accounts work with LR.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Speaking of the AT&T sim, I've encountered a rather strange issue in the last few days (might have been happening longer and just hadn't noticed). So I went to use the nav the other day and up popped a message saying as there was no data connection available, certain features such as traffic, etc. would not be available. I didn't think much of it since the data connection has worked since I got the vehicle a year ago and sometimes it will take a bit for the system to connect to the AT&T network as I'm usually parked in a 12 floor parking structure.

Anyway, I went on with my day and on a subsequent drive, again went into the nav and had the same message - which I found rather odd since I was in an open parking lot when it happened the next time and my iPhone was sitting right next to me (also on AT&T) with full signal. Looking at the screen, initially it had the little dots searching for the network, eventually going to the no-network connection symbol. Initially I thought maybe the sim wasn't seated properly and pulled it out, put it back in, and all those fun bits... same exact outcome. The following day, get in the vehicle, same problem... so this time I pulled the sim out, reinstalled it while in the Connectivity menu and as soon as I put the sim in, it showed "Reading SIM", so obviously the sim is alive and well. By pure luck I guess, I went further into the sim/data settings and there's an option to turn roaming on/off (as far as I know, it's always been off). Just for fun, I turned roaming on and within seconds, the network symbol changed to 3G with full signal albeit it an "R" next to 3G to note that it was roaming. Looking in the settings (where the roaming option is), it also shows the network you're connected to - sure enough, it say AT&T.

So now I have data service back up and running but ONLY when roaming is turned on (and likewise the symbol for roaming shows in the upper right hand corner of the screen)... as soon as I try to turn roaming off, the connection is lost and it won't connect to AT&T.

After two days of the system now setup to roam, I checked my AT&T account (as the sim is part of my shared plan) and I can see data usage on both days for the vehicle account in the billing... all usage listed as no charge and nothing to note that it was roaming data.

Soooooo long story short, it would appear data for my vehicle now only works when roaming is turned on even though in reality (according to AT&T) it's not roaming... all so very odd!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Speaking of the AT&T sim, I've encountered a rather strange issue in the last few days (might have been happening longer and just hadn't noticed). So I went to use the nav the other day and up popped a message saying as there was no data connection available, certain features such as traffic, etc. would not be available. I didn't think much of it since the data connection has worked since I got the vehicle a year ago and sometimes it will take a bit for the system to connect to the AT&T network as I'm usually parked in a 12 floor parking structure.

Anyway, I went on with my day and on a subsequent drive, again went into the nav and had the same message - which I found rather odd since I was in an open parking lot when it happened the next time and my iPhone was sitting right next to me (also on AT&T) with full signal. Looking at the screen, initially it had the little dots searching for the network, eventually going to the no-network connection symbol. Initially I thought maybe the sim wasn't seated properly and pulled it out, put it back in, and all those fun bits... same exact outcome. The following day, get in the vehicle, same problem... so this time I pulled the sim out, reinstalled it while in the Connectivity menu and as soon as I put the sim in, it showed "Reading SIM", so obviously the sim is alive and well. By pure luck I guess, I went further into the sim/data settings and there's an option to turn roaming on/off (as far as I know, it's always been off). Just for fun, I turned roaming on and within seconds, the network symbol changed to 3G with full signal albeit it an "R" next to 3G to note that it was roaming. Looking in the settings (where the roaming option is), it also shows the network you're connected to - sure enough, it say AT&T.

So now I have data service back up and running but ONLY when roaming is turned on (and likewise the symbol for roaming shows in the upper right hand corner of the screen)... as soon as I try to turn roaming off, the connection is lost and it won't connect to AT&T.

After two days of the system now setup to roam, I checked my AT&T account (as the sim is part of my shared plan) and I can see data usage on both days for the vehicle account in the billing... all usage listed as no charge and nothing to note that it was roaming data.

Soooooo long story short, it would appear data for my vehicle now only works when roaming is turned on even though in reality (according to AT&T) it's not roaming... all so very odd!
My dealer supplied sim wouldn't connect either until I turned on roaming. It also maxes out at "3G". Makes me wonder if it is an international sim. I'm in the U.S. on AT&T as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Has anyone tried a Verizon 4G SIM card yet? Did it work correctly and in 4G when inserted?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for checking on this. I think I am sticking with T-Mobile after my AT&T trial finishes in a few days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts