Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Range Rover HSE has a bunch of peeling interior trim parts, just like everybody else. I've been hesitating buying one of the aftermarket trim kits (stick onto existing trim), because I'm not convinced that it will look good enough. (If you've found a kit that DOES look good please let me know). I have the Dark Walnut wood, with Sand Leather interior. Also, I don't want to introduce another, different, color and texture to the inside of the vehicle. We already have Black, shiny silver, speckled 'satin' finish silver, various slightly-different 'beige' colors, dark walnut, and perhaps a couple of finishes I've failed to mention.

I've been keeping an eye on the forums to see if anybody has come up with a good paint-match. Thanks to everybody who has already posted their advice.

I think I've found an EXCELLENT spray paint to match the speckled silver trim parts (NOT for the very shiny non-speckled parts). I'm talking about e.g. the main center cup-holder, and e.g. the silver plastic 4" wide trim piece that surrounds the Gear stick.

I would say it's a 95+% match - Exactly the same size of 'speckle', and exactly the same 'satin' finish, and almost exactly the same color match. I say 'almost' because it's just a few percentage points 'brighter', or you could call it very very slightly 'lighter'. I have NOT compared the part I refinished with a brand new vehicle - I would guess that when the vehicle was new, the same silver trim was also 'brighter'.

I'm going to let it dry for a few days, and then report back again, with some before / after photos, along with exact surface preparation advice.

I guess I should mention what paint it is - Dulpi-Color, High Performance, Metal Specks, 11oz spray paint can. www.duplicolor.com MS200 Metal Specks Sparkle Silver. Barcode is 26916 02606. Cost is around $6.

That's all for now. I need to go and put a large laundry basket over my body and pretend to be a Dalek with my 6 year old son.

Simon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice! Another alternative is the carbon fiber vinyl... I know it's not stock or OEM, but it looks great! I bought a bunch and I'm waiting til after I rebuild my transmission to install it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not heard of a 'carbon fiber vinyl' solution - But then again I've made zero effort to research..... Throw some details my way if you feel like it.

Simon Nevill (Ex-Brit, now in Madison, Wisconsin).

G

·
nevill said:
I've not heard of a 'carbon fiber vinyl' solution - But then again I've made zero effort to research..... Throw some details my way if you feel like it.

Simon Nevill (Ex-Brit, now in Madison, Wisconsin).
Expat (still a Brit though), now in Michigan. Update your location on your name as it will help with future advice to be location specific.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have taken to removing the speckle with my thumbnail and a soft wood stick. This step is important before a repair anyway. The satin black that remains is good until I get serious about removing and repainting it all.

The dealer solution is to body match exterior... LR Dallas has a used 2010 Autobiography on which they body color-match painted all of the trim (not a good choice IMHO)

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
222 Posts
I had my interior paint matched with a camera looking device that reads the color of the paint I had this done at a local automotive PPG paint store, the color was perfect.
My 2003 Range Rover HSE has a bunch of peeling interior trim parts, just like everybody else. I've been hesitating buying one of the aftermarket trim kits (stick onto existing trim), because I'm not convinced that it will look good enough. (If you've found a kit that DOES look good please let me know). I have the Dark Walnut wood, with Sand Leather interior. Also, I don't want to introduce another, different, color and texture to the inside of the vehicle. We already have Black, shiny silver, speckled 'satin' finish silver, various slightly-different 'beige' colors, dark walnut, and perhaps a couple of finishes I've failed to mention.

I've been keeping an eye on the forums to see if anybody has come up with a good paint-match. Thanks to everybody who has already posted their advice.

I think I've found an EXCELLENT spray paint to match the speckled silver trim parts (NOT for the very shiny non-speckled parts). I'm talking about e.g. the main center cup-holder, and e.g. the silver plastic 4" wide trim piece that surrounds the Gear stick.

I would say it's a 95+% match - Exactly the same size of 'speckle', and exactly the same 'satin' finish, and almost exactly the same color match. I say 'almost' because it's just a few percentage points 'brighter', or you could call it very very slightly 'lighter'. I have NOT compared the part I refinished with a brand new vehicle - I would guess that when the vehicle was new, the same silver trim was also 'brighter'.

I'm going to let it dry for a few days, and then report back again, with some before / after photos, along with exact surface preparation advice.

I guess I should mention what paint it is - Dulpi-Color, High Performance, Metal Specks, 11oz spray paint can. www.duplicolor.com MS200 Metal Specks Sparkle Silver. Barcode is 26916 02606. Cost is around $6.

That's all for now. I need to go and put a large laundry basket over my body and pretend to be a Dalek with my 6 year old son.

Simon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts