RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just bought myself a pair of secondhand side steps for my 2001 P38 and I can see the holes in the chassis but have no idea what size bolts to use.
I've spoken today to the parts dept at a local Land Rover dealership and the fella there says he doesn't have the bolts listed as they came as part of
a fitting kit with Land Rover side steps, mine are aftermarket but utilise the same holes. He did tell me that there are captive nuts within the chassis
so all I need to do is find out, hopefully from you guys, what size bolts I need.

Anybody able to advise me please?

Thanks,

Steve.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I was in the same situation myself last year when I put running boards on my rig and if my memory serves me right it takes M8 bolts.i had to get inserts for mine as the original ones had come out so I got M8 x 1.25 inserts and bolts to match

·
Registered
408 Posts
It appears that the inserts are a kind of 'riv-nut', if your vehicle had factory side steps at some time they should still be in the frame rails. Otherwise do an internet search for riv nuts and get the appropriate size insert determined by the holes present in the outer edge of the frame rail.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
It appears that the inserts are a kind of 'riv-nut', if your vehicle had factory side steps at some time they should still be in the frame rails. Otherwise do an internet search for riv nuts and get the appropriate size insert determined by the holes present in the outer edge of the frame rail.
If your P38 had running boards that were taken off the vehicle before you purchased it then theres a good chance that the rivet nuts (some at least) have come off (two were missing on mine) and the size for replacement rivet nuts is M8 x 1.25 with a M8 bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

Really helpful stuff, now I just need to know what length the bolts should be please?
Would 30mm be ok?

Steve

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Thanks guys.

Really helpful stuff, now I just need to know what length the bolts should be please?
Would 30mm be ok?

Steve
I used 1 1/2 inch on mine but 30mm would be fine.if you're missing a rivet nut you will either need the appropriate tool to insert the new rivet of theres a spanner/wrench technique that I used on my rig which will save you the expense.google search it.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I need some sidesteps or runningboards. A handle to hold on to would be awesome too. My mother in law uses the steering wheel to pull herself up even in access mode. Where can one locate these in the US?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I need some sidesteps or runningboards. A handle to hold on to would be awesome too. My mother in law uses the steering wheel to pull herself up even in access mode. Where can one locate these in the US?
Take it from me I use my running boards every single day as I stand up on them to put 6ft ladders up on my roof-rack for work.
You can buy them on ebay if you want to pay $450 - $1000 for a set.
You can also go on craigslist in your local area and search for range rovers in the cars for sale section and then email a seller and offer to buy just his running boards off him (may get them for $200 this way)
OR
Pull up a list of scrapyards in your area,find out which yards have P38's in them and then go down there and pull the running boards off yourself (this is what I did and it cost me $40 for a set).
Then clean them,and re-spray them yourself with truck bed liner.
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/45130-junkyard-oem-running-boards-refurbishment.html

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Actually you know what you should do seen as you live in CA,contact Scotty on this site,he's down sizing his used parts gig and I'm pretty sure he's got a set of running boards that he'll sell you.contact him quick though before he gets rid of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts