RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever done the fabrication to add something like this to a P38? I’m not crazy about the OEM full length side steps and the Terrafirma rock sliders with tree guards are not quite wide enough for my size 13 snow boot. Has anyone seen a different option like this?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess more specifically I should ask if I drilled holes in the frame and ran bolts through like the Terrafirma Rock Sliders do does it matter where I drill them? My concern is structural integrity of the frame itself. I’d probably use 5mm stainless bolts to keep it simple. I figure if the steps get crushed by a rock or other obstacle I’ll just unbolt and replace them as they are quite inexpensive.
Anybody know if drilling a total of 8 holes through your frame a Superbad idea?

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
If you have the full version of RAVE with the accessory fitting instructions, have a read of that and you'll see the standard side steps are fitted by drilling the chassis rails and fitting Rivnuts. They use Rivnuts rather than drilling right the way through as you could crush the chassis rails if you tried to tighten them right up. Anything that would normally go through a box section would have a tube through it to stop that. So as long as you used the same method, I can't see there being a problem.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have the full version of RAVE with the accessory fitting instructions, have a read of that and you'll see the standard side steps are fitted by drilling the chassis rails and fitting Rivnuts. They use Rivnuts rather than drilling right the way through as you could crush the chassis rails if you tried to tighten them right up. Anything that would normally go through a box section would have a tube through it to stop that. So as long as you used the same method, I can't see there being a problem.
Thanks Richard. Yes I still have some Rivnuts left that I could use to mount them on to one side of the body rail.
I’m not sure what the weight loss limit is on a rivnut. But as my rear ladder has 4 and holds me. I’m guessing 2 should do well as the pull from the step is perpendicular to the bolt itself.
If I drill through the frame I’ll be sure to have an insert like the spacer on the front bumper when you install the front brush guard. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts