RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have decided that I am going to purchase an Evoque (my dream car !!). I have been doing a lot of research and watching tons of YouTube videos and reviews, and often the reviewers mention the engine as not being the best. I see that for 2018, the Evoque will have the new Ingenium engine and I am wondering whether I should wait and get the 2018 with the Ingenium engine, or wait and get one of the leftover 2017s for a better price?? I am a female, and this car will be babied. I will be driving it around town, and taking it on antiquing trips. The most offroad I expect it to go would be onto the beach, but even that is questionable.

So, what do you think? How significant will the addition of the Ingenium engine be? Should I wait for that?

Also - does anybody have any idea when the 2018s will be available in the US?

Thanks,
Linda

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's hard to really say without having driven the car! I'm sure you've looked at this, but i'll put it here anyway http://media.landrover.com/news/2017/06/latest-ingenium-engine-technology-injects-performance-land-rover-discovery-sport-and

You should be getting a more efficient vehicle, but I feel this comes down to price. If you can afford the 2018, you might as well get it. British engineering after all ;-) From what I've read, i think the Evoque you're talking about isn't going to be available for quite a while so it also depends on how patient you are to get your hands on the Evoque.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,670 Posts
Personally I have never understood waiting for anything in the car market. If you like what is offered when you are ready to purchase then buy it. The "what if" rumour mill is often incorrect and almost never on schedule.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would go with the '17 and get the better price. While the new engine will probably be a bit more refined and efficient, I don't think the current engine is all that bad, save for the lag, which the new engine will fix with twin scroll. Sure its a ford ecoboost, but Ive owned Audi's with the 2.0 4 banger (even the new design) and they are pretty comparable, of course the Audi is a tad more refined and powerful. Ive never driven a 4 cylinder where you thought you were driving something that wasent. Ive even had the new Audi 4 cylinder in the new q7 for a few days as a loaner, still feels like a 4.

There are only so many ways you can skin a 4 cylinder without making it sound like one. Check out BMW 4, sounds horrible. I actually think this one sounds pretty good at throttle.

For me, the weakness in this drivetrain is the 9 speed. Granted the Evoque has better calibration than some of the other cars using this box (i.e. the Jeep Cherokee), but there are too many harsh shifts for my liking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts