RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. My wife's lease is up in about 4 months, and we are starting to look at used SUV's to replace it. As of now we have look at XC90's, MB GLS's, Q7's and possibly 2018 Expeditions in the upcoming weeks. I have always been in love with Range Rovers, whether the L405's or the Sports; but when it comes time for a new car, I can never get up the courage to buy one. I owned a P38 in college, the engine blew, so I'm 0-1 on Range Rovers. We went to a Carmax, just because they were the closest to have both, the other day so we could get a sense of the size of them. We have two kids and two dogs, so the Sport might be pushing it. Well, we absolutely loved both. Now, when the time comes, is it worth buying one? Most of the ones I have found are 16's or 17's with under 40k miles and under $51k. Id like not to spend more than $51k because soon I will also need a new car. Should I go the CPO route if I'm lucky enough to find one? Should I purchase an extended warranty or save it for "self-insurance'? How have most people faired with there L405s over a span of 5 years? What are the most common issues?

·
Registered
57 Posts
They drive great, but do not get one without an extended warranty and read the details of the warranty. My 2016 has 72,000 miles on it and has been in the shop 4 times for 4 separate issues within the last 6 weeks costing about $800 a visit. Still waiting for the car which has been in shop for a week until they could get to it. I had tried to buy extended warranty after 2 years with car but they wouldn't sell me one then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's the deal. My wife's lease is up in about 4 months, and we are starting to look at used SUV's to replace it. As of now we have look at XC90's, MB GLS's, Q7's and possibly 2018 Expeditions in the upcoming weeks. I have always been in love with Range Rovers, whether the L405's or the Sports; but when it comes time for a new car, I can never get up the courage to buy one. I owned a P38 in college, the engine blew, so I'm 0-1 on Range Rovers. We went to a Carmax, just because they were the closest to have both, the other day so we could get a sense of the size of them. We have two kids and two dogs, so the Sport might be pushing it. Well, we absolutely loved both. Now, when the time comes, is it worth buying one? Most of the ones I have found are 16's or 17's with under 40k miles and under $51k. Id like not to spend more than $51k because soon I will also need a new car. Should I go the CPO route if I'm lucky enough to find one? Should I purchase an extended warranty or save it for "self-insurance'? How have most people faired with there L405s over a span of 5 years? What are the most common issues?
I just bought my DW a CPO 2015 SC RR w/39k miles for right at 56k or so. If you are able to get a 16 or 17 RR for 51k that's a fairly good deal. Now the sports are a tad bit cheaper, and not that much smaller really. We went the CPO route because I was a huge fan of the warranty on the Rover since they are super expensive to repair and although much improved, they still do not have the very best reliability.

How many miles does your wife put on her car each year? Mine only puts about 8k a year so I felt okay going with a CPO Rover. If her driving was say 15-20k I would have to look at a different vehicle as a new RR was out of our price range.

·
Registered
77 Posts
One thing to consider with CPO is that it is UP TO 7 years. The CPO could be as little as one year additional coverage. So make sure you are comparing apple to apples regarding Land Rover CPO warranties.

Also, the 2017’s had significant tech upgrades, I would imagine a 17 is a fair bit more expensive than a 16.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Go with Carmax and get their Maxcare extended warranty.
i got the 125,000/ 6yr plan, you can have thte 100,000/ 6 yr if your wife drive less miles.
The advanatage i see with Carmax is that you can search " nationwide" and have them ship to the location closest to you
Some are free while some cost 999 transfer fee

My experience is that i have more choices with them vs the 2 Range Rover dealers near our house.

Google Doug De murro and his Range Rover experience and you'll be sold with the Carmax extended warranty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts