RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the rover world and want to buy a 1999 Range Rover with a 138,000 miles. What are your Thought about getting into a used rover.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Well you won't buy a new one without the aid of a time machine. Much the same as buying any other 20 year old car but with one or two things you won't get on other cars. Make sure it is still on air suspension and doesn't leak (drop it down to access height then raise it back up to normal, it should do it almost instantly) and make sure you get two keys with working fobs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I am taking a chance on a used car. I want to make sure this model isn’t a money pit.

·
Registered
984 Posts
What are your intentions for use? I used mine for the last several years as a utility/tow rig/trails etc. I would not recommend it as a daily driver unless you are prepared for quite a bit of maintenance. 138k is pretty low miles but its 21 years old. I love P38's but at their age, I would only use as a second car. Not one for daily commutes.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
243 Posts
Well, I disagree with not using it as a daily driver. Mine has just over 170k and use it every day both on and off road. To me, it's the same amount of maintenance any other daily driven 20yr old vehicle has. Oil changes, tire rotations, inspect ball joints, tie rods ends, change spark plugs and wires ahead of time, etc... If you stay on top of the preventative maintenance, you'll be in pretty good shape. The keyword there is "preventative". Cluster beeps random messages at you once in a blue moon? Take notice, read these forums, and try to cut things off before they leave you stranded. Air suspension is an easy rebuild and easy to test. So as long as you're capable of doing small things yourself, you'll be just fine with a P38. If you take things to the dealer for any type of work, you should probably look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
+1 on using one daily. My avatar is my mileage (yes miles, not kilometres) a few weeks ago. I'm up to 391,000 now and expect to hit 400k sometime this summer. As DaGlitch says, preventative maintenance is key.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you can fix electrical faults and can diy most mechanicals the cars are very cheap to fix with plenty of used parts available. They are a nice drive but heavy on gas. If you need someone to fix it for you I’d look elsewhere as there will be lots of little jobs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
At 20 years old with 138K miles, it's safe to say to it probably won't suffer from a slipped liner if it hasn't already. Listen to the engine for ticks, take it for a long drive to make sure it doesn't overheat.

Look at the under hood fuse box, are the relays brown, does it look to be in good condition? Do all the electrics work?

Check the coolant condition, is it clean? Does the oil smell like coolant? Any lights on the dash or faults in the message center?

As other's have said, if it is on air, cycle it through all the heights. Even with a well working air suspension, I'd budget $1k to give it an overhaul, unless the previous owner recently replaced parts its likely about to be due for new bags and a rebuild on the valve block. Some say rebuild the air pump but I'd just buy a new one.

I wouldn't buy this vehicle if it was your only source of transportation. Yes, my RR could be a daily, it has never let me down but that doesn't mean it wont. It's a secondary car for camping and road trips, when it's not in use I'm spending $$$ on preventative maintenance & repairs to keep it reliable. It would be very irresponsible to use an RR as your sole means of transportation especially if your not planning on spending lots of time tinkering with it.

·
Registered
1999 P38 vogue
19 Posts
Am I missing the point ? I use my 4.6 vogue Everyday for work etc --- only gets left out of action when I take my consul to show's
The RR is like any other vehicle that's 20+ years old --- needs regular checks --- but at the end of the day do you want a car that is dare I say better than most cars of that era ----- I wouldn't have anything else apart from V8 myself

·
Registered
69 Posts
The point is, it's 20 years old and needs regular checks. We don't know this guys mechanical ability. We don't know if he plans to restore it, tinker with it, maintain it, or just drive it and have to send it to the dealer every time an issue comes up.

If it's the latter, he's better off spending his money on something newer, that's the point.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Don't agree. I may have a second P38 but it isn't road legal at the moment so I couldn't use it even if I wanted to, so my P38 is my sole means of transport and is used every day. But, I maintain it and don't have a problem obtaining parts if I need them. If I notice something that needs replacement I can order it and have it with me by the following, if not same, day.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
266 Posts
Don't agree. I may have a second P38 but it isn't road legal at the moment so I couldn't use it even if I wanted to, so my P38 is my sole means of transport and is used every day. But, I maintain it and don't have a problem obtaining parts if I need them. If I notice something that needs replacement I can order it and have it with me by the following, if not same, day.
Welcome to the United States of America. The friendly local auto parts store won’t have everything you need.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
That's the point I was making, it's probably far easier for me and if I was running a relatively rare imported car then it might be different My local parts supplier carries many parts and delivers too so I can call them and have what I need delivered within an hour. If it is something more specific, then Island 4x4, LRDirect and Rimmers will all do next day delivery if I place an order before 4pm

·
Registered
69 Posts
Exactly, you are able to daily a P38 because you have the knowledge, capability, and willingness to maintain and repair it. If you don't, you should probably buy something else.

People are quick to spend other peoples money on the internet, but we should keep in mind that cars are tools necessary for modern life and are huge financial expenditures. Depending on what point you are at in your life, a 20 year old luxury car may not be the best purchase.

·
Registered
1999 P38 vogue
19 Posts
Absolutely agree about spare parts and servicing ---- here in UK just about any motor parts store can get parts ---- maybe a Toyota would do ---- I know the engines are well made unlike the fragile BMW engines

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here in Perth Australia I get my parts from the UK as it’s cheaper and faster than getting them from the eastern states. Next 10 days delivery here is the norm.

·
Registered
1999 P38 vogue
19 Posts
10 days not too bad I've had to wait a week for parts delivery from 60 miles from my house --- makes you think eh

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think you can make a P38 as reliable as any other 20 year old car if you do some preventive maintenance. Here is what I would recommend replacing with new:
Drivers and passengers door latches, fuel pump, crank position sensor and coolant hoses. Maybe the thermostat.
In addition buy a valve block and compressor from eBay for $100 and rebuild it for $75 worth of seals from 4x4 Air Seals. Install it to make sure your rebuild works and if so you now have a spare that can be installed in 30 minutes. Buy a pair of front air bags. If necessary these can be swapped out in an afternoon. Make sure you have a good battery.
Of course it is possible other things can go wrong but I think this covers the more usual P38 problems that might prevent you from driving the car.
Checking the condition of the fuse box, as mentioned, is also a good idea.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts