RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forum so please bare with me.
In terms of reliability and serviceability, would you get a 2007 RR supercharged with 93k miles or a 2012 RR supercharged w/110k miles?
I understand that RR's aren't known for their reliability but I won't be daily driving it. It will be a weekend car for long trips. It is important however for the car not to leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Since the 2012 didn't get the timing chain guide replacement yet, I know that at anytime, I will need to pay 3 to 5k to get it done... But I do like the upgraded interior and exterior. However it has been serviced at the dealer and comes with all the service records.

The 2007 has lower mileage for the year and has just had the front air suspension replaced along with the compressor. Also I noticed that the air suspension can be replaced with regular coils for the 2007 but not the 2012 as of yet...

Looking forward to your advice.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts
I think I would look at the carfax, service history, ownership length and # of owners, and overall condition of each vehicle. Also, I would do a PPI on the one you're interested in purchasing.

I once bought a 2004 Jaguar S Type R with 30k miles, one owner perfect carfax, it was 9 years old when I got it but it was pristine! Had major transmission issues and I got stuck with the repair.

I had previously owned a 2003 S type R with 80k miles that was flawless and the only issue I had was the driver side window weather stripping came off.

It's really a crap shoot these days, but do your best to have it checked and enjoy. I think I would personally go with the 2012, just my opinion though.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
The '12.
And please read the guidelines, and the part where it says to put your location.......Someone here may have owned or worked on one of the two rigs you're looking at

Martin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

The 2012 is relatively high miles but has been serviced at the dealership. It has not received the timing chain guide repair which is a 5k to 6k repair according to the dealer. I've heard that this repair is a matter of when not if.

The 2007 on the other hand is relatively low miles and doesn't have timing chain guide issues.

I definitely would prefer the 2012. However most mechanics i talk to seem to prefer the jaguar engine over the ford engine.

your thoughts ?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
73 Posts
As someone who just bought essentially one of each, I think it comes down to price. For me, after driving both of these back to back it is clear that the 2012 is an advanced version of the same platform. The price difference would drive my decision.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
688 Posts
Mileage made my decision. I just bought an 08 with only 30,000 miles on the clock. It practically still had the new car smell. Maintained by the dealer. And plus warranty.

I’m not disappointed in the 4.2sc. But then I moved from a P38.

Sent from my iPhone X

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
If the Carfax and service history is good, definitely get the 2012 Range Rover. You will not be disappointed.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Are we talking about the full size Range Rover, or a Sport??? Your title...........
You're going to drive yourself and everyone around you nuts soon.
The '12 is the better deal if you can swing the money
Neither one has super low miles, so why even take that into consideration?
Not every '12 will have timing issues, get a new parts swapper. Our '11SC has not had any timing stuff done at 145k miles, and is still super quiet. There are plenty of guys who have had zero issues.
Drive both, that should make up your mind once and for all

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about the title. RR is for Range Rover and S is for supercharged. So i am talking about the full size Range Rover Supercharged. the 2012 has 110k Miles which means that the previous owner drove approximately 16K miles per year whereas the 2007 has 93K miles which means that the previous owner drove approximately 8K miles per year. I guess I am really trying to figure out which drive train is more robust Jaguar (2007-2009) or Ford (2010-2012). I will drive both of them and report back.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Got ye.
For future reference, as you'll probably be around for a while.....
SC=Supercharged.
S=Sport :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I skipped the 2007 RR SC and went straight to look at the 2012 RR SC. I plugged in my scanner and all I could see was misfiring detected on all cylinders. Timing chain guide issues ??

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
73 Posts
Not necessarily.......How was it running?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts