Range Rovers Forum banner

What would you do?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have already spent money on the car. Clear bra on bumpers and panels and all the pillars. Opti-coated entire car am about $3000 in and have 3500 miles so far. I am not satisfied with the color scheme and want to go from
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Range rover

To this ...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Range rover Sport utility vehicle

Then I want to do this treatment to the roof with silver finish rails and white background strip.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Range rover Sport utility vehicle

Posibbly get the Range Rover lettering painted satin black and Not sure of the vents yet .

All that going to run about $5K. Now I like to open the forum to suggestions/ opinions. Is it crazy to do this, and might I be better off ordering a 2015 do the roof rails then opti-coat it and be done? I suspect I will loose all the tax money I paid too if I do that. Should I or should I not. There was a suggestion leave the roof white, but I think the car looks too chunky without the two tone paint job. What is your suggestion? What would you do?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: Should I drop $5K to convert paint scheme or order a 2015?

I'd do a 2015, but I guess it depends on what they'd give you for a trade. I think doing major paint work on a car with only a few thousand miles is risky. You'll never get that money back - order a 2015 ATB and have it done right. Perhaps there's also some option that you added to your 2014 that you wouldn't really need again, thus brining the price of the new car down a bit and offset the added cost of the 2015.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
46 Posts

The used market is very strong. You would likely only lose a little bit, if any. I'd order the 2015 the way you want it.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,636 Posts

Only you will notice the difference between the 2 cars, most anyone else won't. And what will you do when the 2016s come out?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

If I trade it, then I have to trade it for a 2015. I don't care much if I have a 2014 or 2015 otherwise. It's the same car and it's not for anyone to notice. It's just am not feeling the white roof anymore. Ofcourse if I had not seen the contrast roof or known I had an option I'd be happy as crams with this, but to change desire is human right?

Am thinking of this from a financial standpoint. I'd want the car configure exactly like the one I have, but this time I'd order an autobiography for sure. Might also go more risky on the interior and not be so conservative. I would consider chille red but I don't think that's available anymore. In terms of color I'd make sure I got the body color rocker panels. They have grown on me. Would I trade that for next model? Unlikely. I think I will keep the car about 5yrs then move on. Am wanting to trade my 335 also lol. Waiting on something more appealing to come out so I can go to that. Since I have the RRS, I have option to even get a two seater so when something catches my heart the 335 will be traded for that. :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

But to change desire is human right?

Am thinking of this from a financial standpoint. :)
Yes, desire is Human, Google "Hedonic Treadmill"

As for the financial standpoint, that's an easy formula: ROI = Benefit/Cost.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I suppose ROI on each route is 0. Just which is the more logical route to take? Jaguar you have similar tastes so what way makes make better sense to do?

·
Registered
288 Posts

If you can afford it - do it. The ATB have strong resales... So that will be on your side. I personally would put it towards my next vehicle (the 335 swap)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

I suppose ROI on each route is 0. Just which is the more logical route to take? Jaguar you have similar tastes so what way makes make better sense to do?
I really like Fuji with a Black Roof, it's my favorite combo. My RRS was a cancelled order, the Dealer had one with a Black Roof, I wanted that one but the new Owner was coming to pick it up later.

I still think about having the Roof wrapped sometimes, I wouldn't have it painted because you have to remove the Pano Roof and Windshield to do it right, so then I was thinking that if I get it wrapped, why not a Gloss Carbon Fiber?? Maybe I will get around to it.

But in your case you need to get all the numbers, your real trade-in value, the exact out the Door cost of the ATB so you can compare that to the $5k.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Gloss carbon fibre? On the roof? Wonder how that would look? Maybe a bit tuckey? And if you wrap does it come off and leave the prestine paint job intact?

What happens to the value of the car if I paint it? Am talking factory scheme here. Is just painting rocker panels alone the better option?

Lots of questions. I am new to range rover so hopefully people who know better can answer these. Thanks in advance for your help!!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,991 Posts

professionally painting rocker panel is the cheaper and sensible option. if you don't like it, you can always buy an oem rocker panel and replace it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Right completely true. Didn't even think of that! Completely reversible. I think only risk is painting the roof but you can have that as a no cost option on the supercharged and ATB. A friend told me if you paint the car and alter the original look no matter how well it's done the value will just plammet. He had range rover sports before so it gave me pause. Why spend money to make the car look nicer and still OEM scheme only to kill the value? I didn't intend on trading the car for a while, but at this rate am getting a bit gun shy here. I don't want to paint the panels and have an all white car. If I paint the panels and it's safe enough bet I won't kill the value by painting the roof then I want it painted. If am going to kill the value might as well just sell it or trade it and get a 2015

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,991 Posts

If it's nicely done, it should not drop its value. The roof painted though can always look Oem if done right. Nobody would notice it if you sell it later since there are contrast roof on the new L494 that prospective buyers would think it was special ordered.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
79 Posts

Get the '15 and the factory-backed warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts