RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing the valley gasket due to an oil leak, the inlet gear is off, should i do the head gaskets while its off as it is on 135000 miles and i dont believe they have ever been done.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: should i do the head gaskets while doing the valley gasket?

I would.

Mine went at 123k on a 4.6, and I thought I was doing well.

Have the heads skimmed too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

just noticed in the exspansion bottle, there is a littlebit of white gunge which might suggest its due to go. does anyone else have a thin layer of this in theres?
How long do the gaskets normally last?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts

you've already done most of the hard work, now just fight with the exhaust heat-shields and the heads are off...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

What tool do i need to get the imediate steering shaft off as there is a like star bolt, i presume its to stop you taking it off?

·
Registered
72 Posts

Only skim the heads if they need it. Get a straight edge and a feeler gauge and check them. Skimming the heads changes the fit of the intake manifold. Do it only if needed. A machine shop will easily be able to tell you if they need done. It's likely they will need it, but be sure to check first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

If it does need skimming i was going to use a composite gasket, would the inlet still fit ok? Would there be anything else i would need to do to make it fit after skimming?

·
Registered
72 Posts

Just be thorough when you put it back together. The intake will fit, just not exactly like it was before because of a slight angle change. This is more noticeable if the heads have been done multiple times. I wouldn't worry about it much, I was just saying, don't do it just because you want to. Do it because they need it. Most of the time when you do the head gaskets, you will do shave the heads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts