RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to RR. I'm looking at a 2004 RR HSE with 68000 miles. The dealer has disclosed that there are 3 problems with the vehicle:
1. A/C works but needs a little feron charge
2. Engine has upper noise that believe to be the lifters from lack of oil change
3. ABS pump is weak sometimes the light comes on and deactivate the suspension

Are these expensive fixes? Should I just keep looking.

Any advice will help.
Thanks for being such an awesome resource,
Anthony

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
I would say it all depends on the price of the vehicle...if you're getting a good deal, for example like maybe $18,000 out the door, then maybe it's not so bad to have to fix the problems. Just look at the overall condition of the Rover and make your decision. You could also ask the seller if they are willing to pay for a full inspection of the Rover at a Land Rover dealership so that can give you an idea of what the repair cost will be and factor that into the price they are asking for the Rover...hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Research this forum as much as you can, particularly for the '03 - 04 model years. When I bought mine, I saw a few problems that the dealer had false explanations for, but because I found much discussion of the same issues here, and was familiar with other ones from experience, I was able to negotiate the price to where I felt it was a good deal.

The Range Rovers are often very high maintenance relative to higher production vehicles, so be fully aware before you buy. If not it can be a good bit more expensive than you anticipated.

Search the MkIII forum in depth, and good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in just about the same boat and ready to buy a new (used) Range Rover soon. Fortunately I've read every post here for the last year (plus countless searches on specific topics), so not only have I learned what to look for, I'm STILL going to buy one!

If possible, find one which has all the old service and maintenance records. If buying from a used car lot, try to get the service records from the original Land Rover dealership.
I also agree on getting a full inspection before purchase. The cost is much cheaper than getting stuck with ANY repair.

BTW, how much is it? What color inside/out? How about options, added features or upgrades?

Good luck!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thony.

G'Day to the forum from down-under and if there are only those Three issues effecting the '04 FFRR, I'd agree with "Duke" on the dollars & best seal the deal Bro' !

Sounds like a significant fluids change is on the cards, re-charge of the refrigerant and suspension issues that are simple to deal with from British Atlantic Mista ?

I really like these Third generation 'Proper' Range Rovers with the BMW lump, no fuss suspension software, ZF 5-speed tranny and look forward to your decisions.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Run. If it was cost effective, the dealer would fix it. My pain tolerance IS low though. `)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am also looking. Probably buy toward the end of the year. I like JagFan have read almost every post in here and learned alot. I also have a Range Rover Classic and and familar with the truck.

1. AC just needs a little freon - Then why haven't they recharged the system???? Probably a leak. Cost some $$$$
2. Lifter noise??? just needs an oil change??? Why haven't they changed the oil??? Could be something more costly??? $$$$
3. ABS is the brake system. EAS is the air suspension system. WHich one is the problem??? BOth can be expense but, can be a DIY project.

Are you machanically inclined?????

Read as much as you can before you buy. Get a PPI (PrePurchase Inspection).

Parker
1993 LWB Plymouth Blue

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
You should not buy that range rover or any car that's being sold under the pretense, "it makes engine noise because it needs an oil change."

If it were a quick fix you wouldn't even know about it

·
Registered
98 Posts
You will probably run into issues even if you buy a perfect one. Like someone mentioned, the dealer would've fixed the problems if they were easy to fix. I say keep on looking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts