RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not really relevant but are your choices really between a Range Rover and a G-wagon? Just based on the few Range Rovers you're considering, they don't come near the price of what a used G-wagon is going to cost. Based off the quick search I did, the cheapest G-Wagon I can find is a 2004 with 160k+ miles and it's priced at 29k USD. I'm sure you can find something a little bit cheaper, but they're nowhere in the ballpark of what you've been posting.

·
Banned
901 Posts
The Jaguar 4.4 is the most reliable engine I know of in a Range Rover imo. I would just get a Jaguar Land Rover 4.4 or 4.2 sc and the 6 speed.

goodluck hunting for your next car. Have you considered a Jeep Wranlger Rubicon Unlimited (4 door version)?

·
Registered
227 Posts
the tranny that is paired to the engine you want 2.7 TD is I believe also a time bomb or as I've heard it described "swiss cheese". If you buy the 2.7TD it may be a money pit because the running gear isn't good.
The 4.2 and 4.4 jaguar derived engines are much better and the also have a much better transmission. I'm going to write that again. The 4.2 and 4.4 jaguar engines are much more reliable along with it's zf 6 speed is much more reliable than the 2.7 TD and tranny.
While I agree with the idea, the TDV6 has exactly the same ZF 6HP26 transmission as any other RR Sport or LR3. You confused it with the old BMW TD6 and it's very weak GM transmission from a 1st-gen L322 Full Fat Range Rover that was fitted before the 2nd-gen L322 TDV8 / ZF era. I detail it a little more below...

I see you have had a lot of different types of Range Rovers..
Do you have any experience with the 2002 RR 3.0 td6 like seen in this ad:
http://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/land-rover-range-rover-3.0-td6-oglas-19322277
No, he doesn't, unless he lived in Europe. This car was never imported to the US.

This is an M57 3.0 litre turbodiesel engine sourced from BMW, almost the same hardware as in E46 330d and E39 530d, with power lowered to 170 HP instead of 184 or 193 HP respectively and torque limited to 380 Nm. The reason for this was because the GM 5-speed automatic transmission fitted to this engine by BMW and Land Rover had torque limit of 390 Newton meters (later 410 Nm) in RWD applications and due to significantly higher mass and rolling resistance - of just 380 Nm in AWD applications in order to prevent it from rapid desintegration. The gearbox is utter sh..t BTW, and is the most often failing compontent of the 1st gen L322 Full Fat Range Rover.

The engine itself is more or less bulletproof (in this age it may have its share of problems with the injection system, the internal sensors - crank position - sometimes cease to work and probably the BMW-designed secondary fuel pump will need replacing, but the same engine did more then 250k kilometers in my 330d), make sure the swirl flaps in the intake manifold are removed by a garage that knows their way in diesel BMWs. The reason for the longevity of this engine is low power - it actually generates just enough to make the big Range Rover move in a glacial manner. We're talking 13s 0-60 mph. This thing is a cathedral, and just as quick. Yes, you may chiptune it to like 220-230 hp. Then watch your transmission spread all over the place.

In two words: BAD IDEA.

You are certainly looking for the most affordable thing that has a "Range Rover" badge. Please don't.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Great thanks everyone for all the advice. Yes the G Wagon is a much more expensive car and I have been considering spending a bit more to get a quality vehicle that I am sure will last many more years to come. But I've also considered buying a Range Ranger since it's a great car, good off-road capabilities plus it's beautiful and a lot cheaper than the G Wagon. The only thing that is stopping me is the bad reliability and complicated system that makes it very vulnerable to a million things going wrong! I'm definitely going to have to do some more research and take it slow before I purchase my next car.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The only thing that is stopping me is the bad reliability and complicated system that makes it very vulnerable to a million things going wrong!
No. They are very reliable if serviced properly. This has a direct influence on the selling price. There is no such thing like a cheap car with excellent reliability record due to great service history. It's only a matter of price.
This is true for every car brand.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
You're confusing reliability with maintenance...two separate issues...with proper maintenance, these vehicles are very reliable...but maintenance costs $$$$. You want a Range Rover for the status symbol that it represents, but you can only get into a super old one at this point, fine no problem there, but you are balking at paying the price of entry which is the ability to maintain the vehicle. All indications suggest this is not the vehicle for you...sorry to say.

You came here asking for advice...have disregarded almost all of it....chances are if you bought it, you'd be complaining about the cost of maintenance one month from now. You need to go and get the service records of the vehicles you are looking at, price out the cost of the repairs of the items I listed above, add that to the purchase price and figure out if you can afford that in the next year or two. If the answer is yes...make a decision...and buy it...but this waffling and indecision and 'waiting another year" which is what you have done so far isn't getting you any closer to owning an RRS.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Does anyone have experience with the 2002 4.4 v8 HSE engine and installing LPG (liquid petroleum gas)?

This ad just popped up and I was wondering if anyone owned this model.

http://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/land-rover-range-rover-4.4-v8-hse-oglas-16371116

It's not easy on deciding which model to choose, I can afford maintenance costs but I would also like to get all the information I can receive from some of the experts on the forums. Thanks in advance for the help and apologies if I may be a drag! :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you can afford the maintenance, why are you looking @a 15 yr old vehicle? Plus, this is the SPORT section, so you won't get much answers on this last 1...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the 2002 4.4 v8 HSE engine and installing LPG (liquid petroleum gas)?
An old BMW engine, any taxi driver will show you a garage that will happily fit an LPG installation to a BMW 750i. This one is no different, apart from the small detail of "and where am I going to fit the bloody LPG tank?"

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
10 Participants
TheWojtek
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing