RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Why do you think the SC is better? I know some people are considered with the fact that it doesn't have much power, but to be honest I am a slow driver anyways. Does it have to do with the reliability and better engine build?

·
Banned
139 Posts
Hi,
#1, SC is just more fun.
#2, most powerful engine out of entire lineup and SC does not affect reliability so why not?
#3 SC will come with many options as standard.
#4 winening about saving 1-2 mpg with most unreliable engine sounds awefull and illogical.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
What's your motivation for buying a Range Rover Sport?

You'l need to be prepared for repairs...consider at least 10% of your purchase price per year as an estimate...some years more, some years less. You'd better find out what major repairs have been done...if you need to replace the airbags/shocks, the air compressor, any upper or lower suspension links, swaybar bushings, tires, brakes etc...you could pump in 50% of the purchase price just on parts alone. Proceed with that knowledge and investigate both cars well for their service history.

Driving so little is actually a bit of a concern...if it's a lot of short distance trips and short duration...you'd be better off with a VW TDI not a RRS TD...

Quite frankly, it's the regular repair and maintenance costs, not the delta on S/C vs TD mileage economy that's going to consume your money. Your decision to invest in this depends a lot on how long you plan to keep the car.

P.D. Not sure where you see messages about the engines "blowing up"...very rare occurrence.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am not sure how web advertising works in Croatia: but it looks like the diesel is sold. The ad is now inactive.

Unless you bought it, an old expression comes to mind: "you snooze, you lose!"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks everyone for the lovely responses. The car was not sold, the advertisement just expired and needs to be renewed. Still haven't made up my mind on which car to buy. I think I'm going to wait it out a bit and maybe a better one comes along the way. I would prefer to buy from a dealer instead of private. Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
One more thing I wanted to add, to be honest the Mercedes G wagon has always had a place in my heart. I think it will be well worth the wait in finding the perfect one. :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
The G-Wagon was my top pic for yrs, then the ROVER was 2nd,,,,,,,,,,,, until I road/drove a G-Wagon & a Rover! No comparison in ride, & the interior is MUCH better. My sister in law has a 2015 Wagon, & the interior looks even now, extremely similar to my 09' Rover...

(I too LOVE what PJPR said! Hahaha)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Funny thing is on the Mercedes forums everyone says the G Wagon is a much better quality built car than the Range Rover and is costs less to maintain.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Funny thing is on the Mercedes forums everyone says the G Wagon is a much better quality built car than the Range Rover and is costs less to maintain.
You are of course correct, and given that you won't be driving many miles, you won't notice the rock hard seats or uncomfortable suspension compared to the RRS...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nahhhh, that doesn't sound like anything a person on a Mercedes forum would say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lol (teasing of course)

·
Banned
139 Posts
I, actually, saw a youtube video, more than one, on RRS reviews/issues from Russia. I mean, they do rebuilt everything and it is a common practice VS here in USA you'd just pick a fresh(er) engine from junk yard and be done with it... Even they say that 2.7TD is not serviceable not rebuildable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thats what I am afraid of, I can't do all the work my self I would have to take it to service all the time and from so many experiences and reviews on the internet, the Range Rover just seems like a endless money pit.

·
Banned
901 Posts
Hey. I really don't think you understood what was advised and written in this forum. No one said RR is a money pit or a bad car. They said the engine you want sucks. Not only that the tranny that is paired to the engine you want 2.7 TD is I believe also a time bomb or as I've heard it described "swiss cheese". If you buy the 2.7TD it may be a money pit because the running gear isn't good.

The 4.2 and 4.4 jaguar derived engines are much better and the also have a much better transmission. I'm going to write that again. The 4.2 and 4.4 jaguar engines are much more reliable along with it's zf 6 speed is much more reliable than the 2.7 TD and tranny.

I believe everyone in this thread has told you to get the Jaguar v8, for a reason. If you want a RRS I would think about that reason carefully. Everyone here has been nice to you and has given you good information it's time for you to consider it versus refute it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the info and for clearing things up. I will definitely keep this in mind from now on as I wasn't aware the 2.7 TD was a time bomb. I was looking to find a more economically friendly Range Rover but it looks like I'll have to scrap that idea. Cheers!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts