RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am thinking of buying a 2006 Range Rover Sport 2.7 tdv6 hse model with 189,000 km. There is no better place to ask for advice then on these forums!

The one I want to buy is here, asking 15,900 euros:

http://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/land-rover-range-rover-sport-2.7-tdv6-hse-oglas-16696835

Is there a possibility that all the major problems were sorted out if it reached that much mileage? Am I crazy for even considering this? Please let me know what you think, I would love to hear any advice that I can get!

Edit:

Would you rather recommend buying this 2006 4.2 v8 supercharged sport?

http://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/range-rover-sport-4.2-v8-supercharger-390-ks-nije-uvoz-oglas-18251176

·
Registered
314 Posts
Both have the same mileage (about 120K miles) and asking price. They are built to last so you would not be crazy buying either with that many km/miles. Assuming all else is equal, I would recommend the V8 but have never driven the 2.7 tdv6. You should review the service history (to see what major issues they had and may have in the future) and test drive. Then, "make an offer they can't refuse". :grin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, do you think they have a lot of the problems sorted out that you usually get in the first few years? So from now on it will just be regular maintenance? I hope to hear other member's replies soon. :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
On my 08 RRS/SC (as well as the Disco 3s), the only issues were the electronic parking brake and the electronic air suspension. I would guess both of these trucks are on their second EPB and EAS, by now (and the replacements were more reliable that the OEM). Most used trucks have probably had the lower control arms replaced, as the bushings tend to go bad around 160,000 km (100000miles).

My 08 supercharged car was wonderful, but the diesel is more common in Europe and probably more reliable with much better fuel mileage.

To my mind, it comes down to which has the newer tires, brakes, oil, filters and radiator hoses and water pump. If one of these has had recent transmission and differential fluid renewals, that might be the one to buy. At these mileages, there are bound to be issues coming along.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My 08 supercharged car was wonderful, but the diesel is more common in Europe and probably more reliable with much better fuel mileage.
The TDV6 is asthmatic with 190 HP that have hard time to move the car at all (0-60 mph in like 11 seconds?). The engine itself has a couple of design flaws, which include an oil pump pin that from day one continuously lowers the oil flow, leading to terminal engine damage; an over-lightened crankshaft that does not play with it’s bearings at all (add insufficient oil flow), bearings made of plasticine and continuously failing EGR valves. Widely known in as a „look, don’t touch with a stick”-engine in Europe.
Even if it has been kept in top condition throughout the entire lifespan, this engine will call for an immediate timing belt change, including all the accessories like tensioners, water pump and pulleys. Add roughly 1500 Euros for this pleasure and you still end up with a fragile engine that doesn’t do anything with the 2.6 tonnes of a RRS apart of setting it in motion… eventually.

If fuel economy has any part to play in here, I’d wait for a TDV8 to pop up in classifieds. Not too great an engine - turbochargers fail quite often, a lot of build quality issues, just today I’ve witnessed a postmortem of the TDV8 that lost compression on one cylinder bank, but at least it has some power to move the heavy car.

If fuel economy has no part to play, I’d take the Supercharged anytime (well, I did it a year ago). However I am quite sure there will be something to fix, and expensively. My bet would be the active rollbars and the EAS compressor.

And to the OP: don't believe the ads of a Range Rover with "full equipment" written in caps. This SC is still far from being fully loaded, lacks at least 3 equipment options highly sought after. By the looks of the ads you've posted, you want an RRS and do not have any expectations of what it is like to have one. You linked two radically different flavors of this car. So start with asking yourself "what do I want from my next car" and do not take "to be an RRS, no matter what!" for an answer. It's going to end in tears this way. You have 4 engines and 4 different power vs efficiency choices to pick from. OK, you don't want the 4.4 petrol, it uses just as much fuel as the SC, but can not compare in terms of dynamics. So make your choice
wisely, it will be very expensive anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, thanks for your response. I have asked before on the forums about Range Rovers and every time people scare me into buying one and I end up putting it off for a year. I have really wanted to buy a Mercedes G wagon but the prices are just too high, even for ones that are 20 years old. Range Rovers are more affordable, and giving 15,000 euros plus 1,000 euros in repairs is something I can afford. I have just really been scared into not buying one. Is it possible the TDV6 is that bad? How come it has so many km, it must have been on the road and not sitting in the shop all these years.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I waited for my RRS for like 8 years? Had a RRC and P38 before, so I am well accustomed to the British Quality Engineering. Don't get me wrong, I love these cars, have a Disco3 as well, so no, it's not "scary".
If you're into a Gelaendewagen, don't be. In daily-driver configurations they are even worse in terms of costs then any Land Rover and the level of comfort is questionable. I've used an 55 AMG for a year. Wouldn't come back to this car ever.
A 1k Euros in repairs is not even a basic tuneup ;) Brakes (discs/pads) of adequate quality will set you back 500 Euros, ARB bushes which WILL squeak - another 500 E including labour. It's an expensive vehicle to buy and maintain. Ask yourself a question why they are fairly affordable after 10 years? Because somebody got sick of investing in the car :)

That said - get an SC. You do not want a TDV6, unless your idea of daily driving is just lazy cruising on a flat surface. (it will be OK in the rough like any LR, but it just does not have the power). But that's not what this particular car was built for. It's a Sport.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your response. I am not a fast driver, and like the TDV6 because of it's diesel engine that wastes less gas. I really don't drive around much, in the last 1.5 years I have racked up only 10,000 km.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This means the diesel (more expensive repairs, higher fault risk) will not have an opportunity to offset the maintenance costs by the low fuel consumption. Even more reasons to have a petrol car. It's a typical mistake that people buy complicated, vunerable diesels "because they do not drive much". A diesel used on short trips will not be significantly better in fuel economy then a petrol.

·
Registered
476 Posts
We don't get the TD motor in the US, so this is new insights to me. Given these concerns are your low number of miles, buy the super charged truck: get some fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know how the fuel consumption in L/Km for the supercharged sport and for the td v6 sport?

·
Registered
227 Posts
My RRS SC (i drive around 80-100 kilometers per day, 40% city, 60% B-road) is at 18.7 l/100 km today (12.5 MPG). 4.4l Disco3 is 17 l/100 km (13.8 MPG) driven in a similar way.
The 2.7 diesel would have around 13-15 l/100 km, the TDV8 roughly the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great thanks for the info. I am leaning more on getting the 2006 TD v6 sport. I hope the engine doesn't blow up like so many comments on this forum! :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
Great thanks for the info. I am leaning more on getting the 2006 TD v6 sport. I hope the engine doesn't blow up like so many comments on this forum! :p
Were their any parts of this thread deleted?

Mafia - why did you decide on the TDV6? I saw no real support for this option at all in the thread so getting to your last post and I was surprised based on the comments past your original post.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, no there weren't any posts deleted in this thread. I have read good reviews on other sites about the td V6, it can't be that bad and fuel economy wise it's pretty good. I only do about 6,000 km a year which is pretty low, so I am hoping because of my low km and no off-roading, I won't have many serious problems. If anyone has any advice, experience with the td v6 sport, or a different opinion, please feel free to post as this is my first Land Rover so I am not that experienced with these cars.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts