RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on the 1997 P38, replacing basically the entire front axle less the housing and axles themselves. With the front of the driveshaft disconnected, should I be able to turn it? I thought it just connected to the viscous coupling so should turn with some friction, but it doesn't budge.

Thanks

Richard

·
Registered
361 Posts
My understanding is that you shouldn't be able to turn it by hand. If you can then it is stuffed.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
The usual test would be to jack up one front wheel and apply a certain torque to the hub for 30 seconds over which time it should move by a certain amount. That would take into account the gearing in the diff so if doing it directly on the end of the propshaft then the amount it turns would alter. If you attach something to the end of the prop so you can keep a permanent turning motion on it, it will turn eventually but it will be very stiff.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the answer. I didn't think the viscous coupling would be that stiff when relaxed. Mind you, it is a silicon gel. Onward and upward

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Yes, you should be able to turn the prop, but you'll need something to get a good grip. Like a large pipe wrench. And the gearbox (or transfer case) needs to be in neutral, to allow the diff to turn.

Filip

·
Registered
51 Posts
The usual test would be to jack up one front wheel and apply a certain torque to the hub for 30 seconds over which time it should move by a certain amount. That would take into account the gearing in the diff so if doing it directly on the end of the propshaft then the amount it turns would alter. If you attach something to the end of the prop so you can keep a permanent turning motion on it, it will turn eventually but it will be very stiff.
Iassume that would be a good test to check the centre diff if buying a rr & want to be sure its ok ?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Simplest way of checking it is to make sure both propshafts are fitted then pull away on full steering lock. If it pulls away normally, then the viscous is OK, if the front wheels feel like they are scrabbling for grip and the car is trying to crab, it's seized.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts