RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and have to deal with the wiper stalk having nearly every function reversed?

This was already a problem when I switched from my first RR (a '78 2dr) to our later 4dr, then a complete swap for the P38, and now back again! Can't they just pick a direction of operation and stick with it? Why?

Usually this isn't so much of an issue, but with all the snow and salt on the road and driving both the P38 and the LM, I'm afraid I'm going to end up with the stalk in my hand one of these days because I push in the wrong direction... :?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Re: Short rant: does anyone else switch between a P38 and an LM?

I drove the P38 the other day and was convinced the high beam switch was broken, then remembered you have to pull it and it flicks back! MUCH better quality switches on the P38.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah, I was pushing the TS stalk the other night in the P38 too - and then back in the LM, flashing the high beams 2 or 3 times till I remembered to push...

I've also poked the lower RH side of the steering column in the LM with the key, fumbled around the upper part of the LM's center console looking for the headlight switch, groped around the shift lever on the P38 trying to turn the car off - but these are all things I can deal with. When I've switched back and forth between the Porsche and other cars I've had to think about where the key goes on occasion too. They're once-in-a-drive items. The wipers or high beams happen regularly especially in dark, wet European winters.

I bet every time they design new stalks, the engineers believe they're improving ergonomics, too. Not realizing that they're just doing the same things as were already implemented 2 models back. Either that or they're cackling madly while thinking about all the drivers they're confusing :roll:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts

Stevemfr said:
Yeah, I was pushing the TS stalk the other night in the P38 too - and then back in the LM, flashing the high beams 2 or 3 times till I remembered to push...

I've also poked the lower RH side of the steering column in the LM with the key, fumbled around the upper part of the LM's center console looking for the headlight switch, groped around the shift lever on the P38 trying to turn the car off - but these are all things I can deal with. When I've switched back and forth between the Porsche and other cars I've had to think about where the key goes on occasion too. They're once-in-a-drive items. The wipers or high beams happen regularly especially in dark, wet European winters.

I bet every time they design new stalks, the engineers believe they're improving ergonomics, too. Not realizing that they're just doing the same things as were already implemented 2 models back. Either that or they're cackling madly while thinking about all the drivers they're confusing :roll:
I think unfortunately its just that they took an existing BMW system and used that. Much like all the buttons :(

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts

I keep reaching in the wrong place for the rotary headlight switch. On the right side of the setting wheel for the P38 and on the lef side for the L322. And I too have problems with the stalks. I have to think for a second and I still usually get it wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts