RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've seen this vid so I didn't open the link but that's what 100 extra HP will do when everything else remains the same. I mean yeah 500 hp is nice, but nobody needs it and its just part of the HP wars going on right now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ukraine Range said:
I've seen this vid so I didn't open the link but that's what 100 extra HP will do when everything else remains the same. I mean yeah 500 hp is nice, but nobody needs it and its just part of the HP wars going on right now.
Weren't you asking about engine/supercharger specifics regarding lbs of boost the other day? I would assume that you want more power, not the quote "nobody needs it." Come on now..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quite the contrary, I don't want or need any more power in this thing. I was just curious about the engine specifics because that kind of info isn't really discussed too much. People that buy these tend to just buy them and that's it, not knowing too much about the guts of it. Coming from the world of high boost, high HP Mustang Cobra Terminators, I was immediately drawn to, and curious about, the powerplant setup.

As I said, would the 500 bhp be nice to have? Yes, because these things weigh nearly 3 tons, but it's not really necessary in a luxury SUV, especially when the 400 hp 06-09 is very capable. This is not an SUV you race like a Cayenne or SRT8. When you drive a Range Rover, you have nothing to prove and that's a great feeling.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Smaller pulley, tune, intake and exhaust and 450 hp is easily (and safely) achievable. Though I don't think I'd mess with the ECU of this thing.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Ukraine Range said:
Smaller pulley, tune, intake and exhaust and 450 hp is easily (and safely) achievable. Though I don't think I'd mess with the ECU of this thing.
Really? How do you know this is possible?

·
Registered
318 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Ukraine Range said:
Basic laws of forced induction...you get a smaller pulley which spins the the blower faster and creates more RPM's inside the blower hence more air rammed into the engine. Adjust the a/f to accomodate, let your RRS inhale and exhale better with intake and exahust and that's it : ~40-50 hp.

BTW, that 450 is an estimate, that number will vary based on pulley size and how aggressive you get with a/f and timing. It's the great thing about forced induction engines - it is so easy to add substantial horsepower.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Ukraine Range said:
PJPR01 said:
[quote="Ukraine Range":1gtuj3wm]Smaller pulley, tune, intake and exhaust and 450 hp is easily (and safely) achievable. Though I don't think I'd mess with the ECU of this thing.
Basic laws of forced induction...you get a smaller pulley which spins the the blower faster and creates more RPM's inside the blower hence more air rammed into the engine. Adjust the a/f to accomodate, let your RRS inhale and exhale better with intake and exahust and that's it : ~40-50 hp.

BTW, that 450 is an estimate, that number will vary based on pulley size and how aggressive you get with a/f and timing. It's the great thing about forced induction engines - it is so easy to add substantial horsepower.[/quote:1gtuj3wm]

Love how this goes from being a sure thang to now an estimate. Frankly, no one has proven this to be fact yet...so until it's done and dyno'd and has no unintended negative impacts on other parts of the ecosystem, I'll remain a bit of a skeptic. Not saying that the basic physics doesn't suggest this to be the case, but the equation doesn't factor in other anomalies of the engine, which may end up blowing up because they can't handle this increase - for example, valves, rods, cams, lifters etc...

But by all means...let's do a dyno and run it for a year hard and see if it can be done...

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
The thing is, there have been no graphs to prove anything - only "my butt says 40hp, easy..." :lol: What if the intercoolers are heatsoaked with the additional boost? What about the charger itself? Could be out of efficiency range when adding the more boost - compounding the heatsoak issue. The Sport has been out for long enough to have graphs of before and after. If there were decent gains to be had, I would hope we'd have seen them by now; maybe someone will surprise us though. :thumb:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Its an estimate because you have to factor in pulley size, tune, etc, not because there's a possibility that you won't get significant gains. The bottom line is that you spin the blower faster, you create more boost and as a result more power. That's a fact.

As far as why LR didn't do a smaller pulley, its because they have to protect themselves so they play it way safe, we all know this. Example - my Cobra came with 8-9 lbs of max boost on the stock pulley - after a smaller pulley (went from 3.65" to 2.95") and tune, I was putting out 13-14 lbs of boost and jumped about 40 hp. Another 20 or so hp with intake and exhaust. The Cobra block was tested to 25lbs before it began to explode. That's THREE times the amount of stock boost. I can't verify how the 4.2 will respond exactly to a pulley/tune, but you will gain significant power. Nobody does it because the typical consumer of these 75k vehicles aren't in it to squeeze all the HP they can out of it so there isn't a lot of data to compare. There IS a RRS on eBay with a smaller pulley, but the owner didn't go into any detail about power, graphs, etc.

And lastly, you mention valves, rods, etc not handling the power - with a forged bottom end and with 9.1:1 compression, believe me the 4.2 will handle more boost without issue, its just that again, LR has to protect themselves so as a result they engineer a very, very safe setup. Plus the people spending this kind of money on a car don't want to fool too much with it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Engine life is also an engine with the increased boost...so if you're on a lease, you're not going to screw around with this, if you've bought it for a long time, you don't want to mess it up either...so which customer segment will take this on?

I've seen 1 person on this forum who went and had it down...but again, no dyno...just it "feels" better...

What we need is someone to be willing to sacrifice their RRS for the good of the RR.NET community....any volunteers???

·
Registered
318 Posts
Agreed - with a pulley and tune, you MUST adjust your a/f and the only way to properly dial that in is with the assistance of a dyno, which will illustrate the curve. Otherwise you're just assuming that the tuner did it correctly, and any tuner worth his salt will almost insist that you strap your car down. And you need an AWD dyno at that, of which there aren't too many around.

·
Registered
318 Posts
One last note, there is NO reason you cannot get longevity out of a forged engine with a reasonable increase in boost provided your a/f is dialed in and your timing is in a good range. If our 4.2's are stock with ~10 lbs, then running ~14-15 with a proper tune would be no problem. Add a few degrees of timing and dump some more fuel in and you will be fine. LR did not max out the performance on these engines, not even close. If they did, you'd see way more hp than 400. Remember, corporate philosophy on power levels and engine safety are always A LOT more conservative than the average car guy - since they're trying to protect an entire brand. And one little FYI...If you recall, the E39 M5 was getting 400 ponies out of an N/A 4.4L - that is impressive.

Now, at 20 psi + ?? You're starting to play with fire, even with a good tune. I don't have the specs on what LR tested the engine to, but I can imagine that double the boost is probably near the limit. That said, I am NOT going to volunteer!! 8)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Ukraine Range said:
Now, at 20 psi + ?? You're starting to play with fire, even with a good tune. I don't have the specs on what LR tested the engine to, but I can imagine that double the boost is probably near the limit. That said, I am NOT going to volunteer!! 8)
Oh come on...I thought we were about to find the volunteer at last...you'd be perfect for it!

I can't do it as I don't have a S/C...otherwise I'd be all over this...

:D

·
Registered
699 Posts
A 500hp SUV is a waste of money.

Unless you plan on drag racing every idiot at stoplights, the standard RRS is sufficient.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Ukraine Range said:
The bottom line is that you spin the blower faster, you create more boost and as a result more power. That's a fact.
Likely, yes; fact, no that is not always the case - as per the reasons I stated earlier.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
12 Participants
avos
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing