RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I last week I fitted a new pair of rear shock absorbers to my 4.6HSE.
One has failed completely within several hundred km. I presume warranty will not be an issue.
The shock absorbers were purchased from eBay and were surprisingly cheap ($100). I do understand that in life you get what you pay for and I was and am still prepared to spend more to get some quality. My problem being that it is difficult to determine what is value and what is just the same unit sold for inflated prices.
The vehicle does all country driving mostly on poorer B roads and gravel roads occasionally used on the farm in rough stuff ( very slow speed).
So the inevitable question is ; can anyone recommend a sensible combination of front and rear dampeners?
Does the fact that it has ( blue) coils fitted in place of air units change the shock absorber I should be using?
Mention is made of 2" extended suspension, what is this and does it affect my choice?
I know this is a much visited topic but I'm still in doubt
Thank you for your help
Al

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
"blue coils" doesn't really tell us anything without knowing the brand or sourcing. You mention a 2" lift. That would indeed impact your choice of shocks. Standard shock on a lifted rig will tend to overextend in rough conditions or extreme articulation. You will want to move up to longer shocks as recommended in the lift threads or in the Arnott Gen III air bag threads.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Martin,
Thank you for your thoughts.
I note the shock absorbers I purchased were advertised as suitable for either standard or 2" raised suspension. At this stage I'm not too concerned about the refund as it does seem fairly 'cut and dry'.

What I don't understand is what exactly constitutes a 2" raised suspension. I presume it refers to a different air bag fitted or taller springs if it has been converted.
How do I determine whether my vehicle is standard height or not? As it is fitted with coil springs I imagine that an extra 2" would give the vehicle a considerably 'jacked up' appearance.
The vehicle certainly does not appear to sit 2" higher.
So whether or not I'm refunded the 'princely' $100 I paid for the first shocks is not really relevant, I can put it down to experience however I still require a set of reasonable shocks. The name 'Terrafirmer' keeps popping up for about $250 (Au) a set, Has anyone experienced these units.
I again I stress I am only looking for reasonable quality all round dampeners.
Thank you very much for advise.
Regards Al

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Terrafirma has indeed cropped up on this forum. Use the search to see what folks have said about them. Cant remember anything bad being mentioned though
You can also find standard ride height the same way, using search. It's normally measured from the center of a wheel to the bottom lip of the fender in the center.

Martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
444 Posts
I put Terrafirma on the rear and noticed a great feel cant wait to put them on the front.

·
Registered
266 Posts
With +2" lift to with terrafirma pro sport, gives firm but not harsh ride.
I'm very happy with them, very safe and predictable drive.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Terrafirma +2 I meant to say
Thx

·
Registered
734 Posts
You're in Australia. What's wrong with the local Old Man Emu?
I have them on my Discovery and they have served me well from the snow covered roads of Canada to the muddy jungle roads of Guatemala and Belize.

Sent from my iPhone 7Plus using Tapatalk

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
This. And why I didn't think of that before is inexcusable on my part!!!

Martin

You're in Australia. What's wrong with the local Old Man Emu?
I have them on my Discovery and they have served me well from the snow covered roads of Canada to the muddy jungle roads of Guatemala and Belize.

Sent from my iPhone 7Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts