RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a myriad of searches on the internet I decided to create a list of shock absorbers that could possibly fit the P38. I have attached it to this post (hopefully) for all to use. Note that this is my own take on the subject and there are several sections of this that have not been checked. There are also parts that have not been completed and I would welcome any suggestions from anyone!

View attachment P38 Shock Absorbers.pdf

Note that although other Top Eye / Bottom Pin shock absorbers have been included, the dimensions of these eyes & pins may not be compatible with the P38 mountings!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
There is obviously a lot of work gone into this. I have not studied it in detail but there are two sets of Terrafirma shocks for the p38. TF125/ TF126 are standard height as you have shown but there are also TF144/TF145 as well. These are +2".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently have Gen IIIs & TerraFirmas fitted to mine. The TerraFirmas are absolute cr*p! Totally mismatched for the air springs! I'm trying to persuade Bilstein here in the UK to build me the hybrids listed under 'Ideal', but its like trying to get 'blood out of a stone'. So far, it has taken me in excess of a year and still have got nothing out of them apart from some PDFs of a couple shocks!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
Terrafirma is not a great brand. they are well known for having crappy welds and break quite often.

Bilstien is the best, they are tough and ride very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I had Bilsteins with GENIII in the past, and didn't like them at all! When I eventually changed back to the old standard dampers, the ride was a lot better, especially at speed on dirt roads. For me, the Bilsteins are to firm for the air springs, and make the car bounce around, which means you have to slow down to keep everything under control on dirt roads. After looking at some alternatives, I went with the TerraFirma's, TF125 both front and rear (for extra travel at the rear). I know they had problems with weak welds in the past, but in 2011 production seems to have stopped and changed, and afterwards quality is as it should be. I'm very happy with them after 2.5 years of use.

Filip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My son had some TerraFirmas fitted to his Classic and one of the rear ones sprang a leak. He got it replaced under warranty and 1 year plus a few days and the new one sprang a leak as well! One of the TerraFirmas (TF125/126) I have fitted to my P38 has sprung a leak as well. I have heard from several people I know that this is a common occurrence! I have also come across at least one TerraFirma in which the pin had snapped off!

The TerraFirmas fitted to my P38 are not suitable for air springs. Since fitting these, my ABS has worked overtime as any bump under braking causes it to go off! It appears as if the shocks are so stiff they don't allow the axle to drop quick enough!

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
The TerraFirmas fitted to my P38 are not suitable for air springs. Since fitting these, my ABS has worked overtime as any bump under braking causes it to go off! It appears as if the shocks are so stiff they don't allow the axle to drop quick enough!
Strange, my experience is the exact opposite, with the Bilsteins the car would bounce and lose contact, with the TerraFirma's she stays nice and planted, following the road.
I don't deny the quality problems TerraFirma had, but so far their claim of addressing those seems valid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts