RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_8660.jpg

Fitting some new front shocks - here it is pictured as it came in the box. Looking at the RAVE file it looks like I should rotate the metal washer at the top and bottom so the "peak" of the cone is against the rubber. Is that correct please? The diagram is not the clearest and I am not sure why they would assemble them the wrong way around?

I am assuming the bushes themmselves are the right way around?

Sorry for what might be a stupid question but it's the first time I have ever changed a shock absorber and the old one had a flat washer not coned for some reason.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Yes, the picture in RAVE is correct, the 'cone' should be against the rubber. The bits are only put on to stop them getting lost so how they are put on is irrelevant. It could be worse, some come with the rubbers and washers in a poly bag so you have to work out how they go together yourself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the picture in RAVE is correct, the 'cone' should be against the rubber.
Thanks - I fitted the second one correctly, the first one is wrong but I will swap it around tomorrow. They were surprisingly easy to fit - the second one only took me 30 mins including making sure the car was safely elevated before starting.

Next job the rear ones.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Rears are surprisingly easy, you just need a long socket extension to get a socket on the top bolt.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Use a torque wrench to tighten the top bolts. The correct setting is in Rave.
When I fitted new shocks, I just tightened it "good and tight" and I got a clunking noise. The top mount is designed to squeeze in and grip the top eye of the mount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts