RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum so please excuse this thread as i'm certain it's been discussed previously but I can't locate it. I have a 99 4.6 that has started getting a shimmy/shuddering at 50-55 mph. it begins around 50 progessively worsening until 55-60 then disappears. just balanced and rotated wheels (nearly new tires) and now it seems to have worsened. it feels as though the entire vehicle is affected like running over bots dots, not nescessarily felt in the steering wheel itself. I was thinking possibly steering damper but as I said it isn't really a steering wheel vibration as such. Anyone else had this experience and solution? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I'm the official search nazi here... but if you post up some pics of the 997 I'll help you out.

It could be a few things:
-incorrect tire pressures (28psi front, 38 psi rear for stock tires)
-bad steering dampener
-loose tie rod ends
-ball joints

I wouldn't classify what you have as death wobble. Death wobble honestly makes you feel like your truck is going to flip over if you don't get it off the road soon. I would suspect the tire pressure first (these are VERY sensitive to pressure) and steering dampener (stabilizer) second.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just an odd-ball thought but maybe consider prop shaft universal joints - maybe one is starting to go a little. Then it will start to gyrate a little and cause a seat-of-the-pants effect. I don´t know if that is what you feel but I have experienced it on another vehicle and a new universal cured it.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Probably not a propshaft UJ, but they can lead to vibration.

Usually, that 50 - 60 MPH vibration is more likely a tyre balancing issue, or a damaged rim or tyre. Get them balanced again at a different place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts