RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 P38 4.6.
When I make a hard left or right and I have the wheel all the way over. The truck shimmys a bit. Like it is hesitating or really struggling to go.
It didn't seem to do this before I got new tires and an alignment. (but I might not have noticed it)
The truck was starting to shake like crazy so I replaced the front drive shaft U-joint that was pretty bad. But the shimmy continues.
Could the shimmy have caused the U-joint to go bad?
Any suggestions at what to check would be appreciated.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi, this is going to be the viscous coupling in the Transfer box, Almost 100% sure. Do a search on here and on the main site, there is lots of info.
I a nut shell it has seized.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
john-sussex said:
Hi, this is going to be the viscous coupling in the Transfer box, Almost 100% sure. Do a search on here and on the main site, there is lots of info.
I a nut shell it has seized.

This. It might not be seized...but it'd definitely locking up during that turn.

BTW... mine does it a bit also. :thumb:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys thanks for the help that would make sense since after I hooked the front drive shaft back up it started making a clunking sound again. I will let you know.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The best way to check is to drop the front prop shaft and drive it around, no shimmy would then point to the coupling.
The other way it to put both gearboxes in neutral, jack up a front wheel and with a wheel nut bar lean on a wheel nut, you should be able to turn the wheel slowly, and it will be slow. If it turns then the viscous is fine, if it won't then chances are it has stuck, same for a classic(late) too.

To be fair mine does it a bit too!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Failed VCUs are a cause of high fuel consumption, lack of power, steering shake and tramlining to some degree, 1st sign of a failing VCU is scratchy front tyres along with UJs going

1 - 6 of 6 Posts