Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends,

I bought a 2001 P38 with a little problem. Got a great deal though :)

While with the previous owner, the rover was broken into, and in order to steal the radio the shifter had to be jammed / forced backward to make room to slide the radio out.

Now, it will not go into reverse. Drive, and parking brake engage though.

What am I looking at replacing? Gear box selector? Shift linkage cable adjustment? Could this have damaged the transmission at all?

Thanks in advance.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Nothin to it. Follow RAVE and remove the centre console and inspect for physical damage. then follow the directions for shifter cable adjustment. It is physically impossible for a forced shifter lever to have damaged the actual transmission as it is only a cable connection. You may have an issue with the ignition/brake inter lock though... but that can be removed if the solenoid was damaged. At a far stretch the "XYZ" switch may be damaged but is easily replaced. Contact "SCOTTY" here for a replacement IF cable adjustment does not return proper operation

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I didnt think it was possible either for it to damage the tranny.

Sorry for being a newb but what does RAVE stand for?

Let's say there is physical damage in the center console, what next? Replace the gear box selector? That is what you are referring to correct?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
130 Posts
Hello RR9664,
See my post about this and its photos for my 02 RR P38 4.6 HSE. If what happened to your H-gate is similar to mine, yours would be bent up at the top.
Not a hard repair.
Vancer

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
to actually answer his question RAVE stands for

Rover
Aftermarket
Viewing
Environment

It was THEE electronic go to for dealers as it was their only shop manual source at the time.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
228 Posts
to actually answer his question RAVE stands for

Rover
Aftermarket
Viewing
Environment

It was THEE electronic go to for dealers as it was their only shop manual source at the time.
Thank you, Sir!
Live and learn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.