Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some kind of way to refurbish the shift knob. Mine is wearing and feeling nasty. All I can find is a new one from 199.00 up,
Can an aftermarket be use? Hard to find a used one for a reasonable price.
Thanks for ideas.

· RIP Our Friend
27,964 Posts
leather or formed rubber? 97 had both. Neither are even close to $199 on eBay or from a breaker. For instance there is very nice leather with chrome lock release for $40 on eBay right now.

· Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is leather but I will search again. I am going to remove the leather first later today because it is tacky and see what it looks like.
I will do another search, Thanks

· Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well here is what I came up with for the meantime. Took off the old leather and put a new strip of leather to fill the gap.
At least it isn't sticky .
Vehicle Car Center console Armrest

· Registered
771 Posts
When there sticky, it’s usually just dirt, a good clean cures it, bought a classic once, within 2 minutes my hands were black, a bit of cif and some warm water cured it,, the guy I bought it off couldn’t believe that was all it needed. He stopped using it because of getting filthy hands every time.

· RIP Our Friend
27,964 Posts
The alcohol and waxes in hand creams will actually degrade the leather's finish. This is why so many leather steering wheels peel, flake and feel like they have been sprayed with contact cement. No amount of cleaning can restore the finish on damaged leathers. Where cleaning works is when you have an owner that hasn't ever cleaned their contact areas. Years of body oil build up and whatever is on their hands makes a nice tar like surface on the leathers. You also see this slime on seat edges, seat belt clasps and arm rest ends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.