RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My 1991 RRC was a rescue from 6 years of sitting in a field? After getting her back on the road I have been using her for local errands only.

She has been stretching and wearing alternator belts since I got her back on the road. I am thinking it may be a crappy alternator rebuild that has bad bearings installed. But I’d like to know if there are any other possibilitie that I should investigate as well.

Thanks in advance,
Walt

·
Registered
993 Posts
Maybe you make it too tight ?
Check alignment...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Look at the belt alignment from both SIDES of the engine bay to see if it's giving cause to damage. If the alternator has been packed at all with washers incorrectly placed on the mount points it may cause this.

Also look at the bottom of the V in the pulleys, it shouldn't worn as the belt drives on the sides / flanks of the V.
It gets traction by not touching the bottom as it can effectively be pinched in by the sides when under load, making the two side surfaces bite and preventing slip.
If belt is wrong size in cross section it hits the base and continuously slips, shredding the belt.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you to the group for excellent guidance. Alignment was off a good bit. I corrected this by adding washers to the mounting bolts. They are more in alignment now and I think we have the solution.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hopefully you're on your way with this one. Generally they don't give much of a problem once set correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts