RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She needs some new shoes asap, leaning towards Cooper Zeons..........

I have completed a rather detailed search. This forum has a wealth of information. I can upgrade to 20" tires and wheels for almost the same price as a quality set of 19" tires. My local tire guy will not install the Coopers on my vehicle for liability reasons. So maybe i will have to go to pepboys etc....

Any comments would be appreciated. It is really difficult finding a 19" tire with an aggressive tread in 2011/2012? I can get the 20's for 1680.00 thats tires and rims. The 19" tires average around 900-1200.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
123 Posts
Re: She needs some new shoes asap, leaning towards Cooper Zeons..........

I bought the Yokohama parada Spex-x 275x40x20 for my RRS and have about a Thousand Miles on them althought i think i should of got the 275x45x20 for more tire for a smoother ride and i did a little curb rash on my right rear rim and wil get fixed when i get home. but i like the parada spex-x no rode noise and they have a great rating on tire rack .com its a all season and poeple have said good things with them in snow so check out tire rack.
capt ken

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts

I bought the Yokohama parada Spex-x 275x40x20 for my RRS and have about a Thousand Miles on them althought i think i should of got the 275x45x20 for more tire for a smoother ride and i did a little curb rash on my right rear rim and wil get fixed when i get home. but i like the parada spex-x no rode noise and they have a great rating on tire rack .com its a all season and poeple have said good things with them in snow so check out tire rack.
capt ken
Just had the Yoko's installed today....did you notice an improvement in steering wheel shimmy with the Yoko Parada's??

·
Registered
123 Posts

Have not had any steering issue with this rover it's a 2007 I guess I lucked out

·
Registered
123 Posts

i hope you like them and they work for you did you get the 20 inch rims and do you have a picture. I cant post any Pic the internet is to slow on my ship but i plan to post some pics when i get home

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I ordered the tires today. Im ordering the rims off Ebay this weekend. Hopefully by next weekend i can post some pics. I wonder if anybody has used any of the LR Range Rover wheel dealers on Ebay. Thats who im going to use. Im not looking to drop 3k on rims etc...

Ship? I work on NWS Charleston btw.............

·
Registered
123 Posts

I work On the Helix Producer 1 in the Gulf of mexico we produce 2.2 Million Bucks a day worth of oil and natural gas from 4 wells about 1,800 ft down on the bottom.Wae also helped cap the big oil spill from the deep Water horizon i work 1 month on and 1 month off google The Helix Producer 1 and you can se a picture. I bought my Rover Used with really low miles and I love it i have wanted one for a long time and finally shiped the Mini Van that i had to Kauai witch i bought for my wife. So now i can go to the snow in Lake Tahoe with the Rover. You work for the National Weather Service. Hope you have fun with your Rover they are truly the best car out there. I plane to do some 4x4 when i get home to the hill decent is cool i tried it in Tahoe last May and the refridgerator is cool to for those long drive
Have fun
Ken

·
Registered
472 Posts

i hope you like them and they work for you did you get the 20 inch rims and do you have a picture. I cant post any Pic the internet is to slow on my ship but i plan to post some pics when i get home
I have two wheel sets for my RRS. The ones that went on today are my latest project: OEM LR 20" Stormers I picked up on ebay that I had powdercoated dark graphite and added the new style center caps.

Car needed a wash bad so I took care of that this evening. I'll post pics later.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yeah the Ebay vendor i was looking at is called wheels-ebay. I would like to see those pics. What tires u running?

·
Registered
472 Posts

Yeah the Ebay vendor i was looking at is called wheels-ebay. I would like to see those pics. What tires u running?
1) These are OEM wheels - they are powdercoated LR 20 inch "Stormers".
2) Tires are 275-40-20 Yoko Parada Spec-X (very quiet, a little less crisp steering response but very quiet)
3) Balanced Dymanically using Hunter Roadforce to minimize steering shimmy.
4) Inflated to factory recommended 38F/42R psi.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Clean look. I hope my Coopers look as clean

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
269 Posts

I just put Cooper Zeons 275/45-20s on my RRS S\C. They are definitely heavier, and can I feel it in the steering and have noticed my mpg drop a tad. The ride is much smoother and absorbs potholes and broken pavement much more aptly than the OE Contis. They do hum on the freeway, and while not noisy, are louder than the Revo's, Yoko AT-S's, and Pirelli ATR's I have had on other trucks; albeit, the Zeons have massive gaps and seem a far more aggressive AT than those I've had prior.

Oddly enough, dry/wet grip seems on par with the OE Summer Contis up to 8/10's of cornering. I've also noticed that pavement oscillations that caused the VSC to intervene with the Contis, does not with the Zeons - tire hopping with shorter sidewalls?

I'm going to the Ranch on Thursday, so will get to experience them off-tarmac for the first time. I've avoided taking the RRS off tarmac because of the tires up until now. Even traversing our gravel driveway left slashes in the treadblocks of the Contis:roll:

I looked long and hard at the Yoko Paradas, but ultimately decided I need an AT, which leaves a choice of one without having clearance concerns. I would have bought the General AT's were they available in the US.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Post some pics when u can. My tires are due to arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
269 Posts

OK, pics are of the Zeons first venture off tarmac besides my gravel driveway. Traction of the Zeons is better than my prior experience with the Pirelli ATRs, Yoko AT-Ss, and Bridgestone Revos. Very little slippage and spinning, and I was able to go up Tally Ho at a much slower speed/RPM than I have ever done before, as the traction was so good. Did have one disturbing gouge out of the sidewall, despite not going through any rocky sections, however.
Cooper LTZ.jpg
RRS Sport -Tally Ho Trail.jpg

Top of Tally Ho.jpg

·
Registered
472 Posts

Nice looking tires and beautiful scenery...where is that? Oh, and that factory wheel is one if the best designs of all time!

·
Registered
269 Posts

The location is a cattle ranch about 8 miles South of Carmel on Highway 1.

I like the wheel design too, and am thinking of having them resprayed in Black Chrome. The previous owner took the truck to a car wash that used a heavy wheel cleaner; hence, the paint on the wheels is peeling andthe Brembo's are completely bleached-out. Which absolutely drives me nuts; albeit, it did help me to negotiate a better deal.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

Did have one disturbing gouge out of the sidewall, despite not going through any rocky sections, however.
Great photos, thanks for sharing (although it's almost impossible to take a bad photo along that stretch of coastline up there... :wink: )

Regarding the gash in the sidewall, did you air down at all? I realize you don't have much sidewall to play with on a relatively low profile tire, but the problems I've ever had with my 18" Zeon LTZs before - punctures and cuts - have almost always been when I wasn't aired down and driving off road with them fully inflated, even on seemingly "safe" looking trails. Terrains in the deserts around here are way more rocky than those in your photos usually, but airing down a few PSI (I usually knock them down to around 30-33 all around, depending on surface, and way lower than that over sand) may help not only with a more comfortable ride off-road, but also make your "single ply" Zeons a bit more flexible and impervious to cuts and bruises when you brush against those pesky, hidden sharp rocks and stones.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Guilty! Tire pressure was 40psi all around. I don't need the added traction, so rarely air down. There is one creek crossing, which is most likely where I took a chunk out of the side-wall. I cannot fit the bike pump nozzle on the right rear valve stem, so I have been neglecting airring down. I guess I have to air down now (Murphy's Law) despite my knocking on my wood desk at present.....

·
Registered
211 Posts

**** that's amazing - reminds me of the mountain Top Gear climbed with the LR3!

BWB those tires are sexah. I just got a tracking number for my 22's with the Yoko paradas and I can't wait!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts