RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny story....

I was browsing through Craigslist a couple weeks ago and I found a small tow company's add for their monthly auction. I was checking out their website when I noticed a 04 Range Rover with Asanti 24's and an Asanti grille kit being auctioned off. I immediately was interested because this is a VERY low budget tow yard. The other cars that were being sold were pretty much only worth their price in scrap metal.

I did some research on the truck and found out that Shawn Kemp was the registered owner of the vehicle and that the vehicle was impounded because it was left on the side of the road with a flat tire! The crazy part of the story is that Shawn NEVER CLAIMED THE TRUCK!!! The only thing that I saw wrong with the truck was a blown tire to keep it from driving. The truck was locked, and nobody had the keys to open it up. I had to bid on the truck without even knowing true mileage of the car. The last time a carfax report was done was in 2006 and it had 42k. The truck also had a leaky rear suspension, broken rear view mirror, some small scratches, and a broken console lid that I could tell.

I went down to the auction on Friday with cash in hand. There were only about 40-50 people that showed up at the auction, so I was praying I was going to get this truck cheap. It went for 20k!! I was willing to bid to around 15k, but 20k in my mind was a little risky. The mileage could be high since the last recording was 06 with 42k, there were a few damaged pieces on the car, and you have NO IDEA if the car is going to be mechanically sound. I knew all that going in to the auction, but I wasn't going to make a mistake and pay too much.

I thought you guys would like my story, considering someone would have their nice Range Rover impounded and decide not to go and get it.

Here are some pictures of it:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Shawn Kemp's (retired NBA player) sold at auction on Friday

Mods please remove. This was posted by mistake twice.
Thanks

·
Registered
952 Posts

Be glad you didn't win....probably used hard and put away wet it's whole life. Not to mention the hideous mods.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

I think you may have had a lucky escape too. Possible 100k miles, Knackered Suspension, New Keys, Broken Bits, Rusty Discs probably more rust underneath, worn tyres - possible other reason why he left the car at the pound....?

On the brighter side you know have £15K to spend on another Rangie with more history!

·
Registered
300 Posts

the strut grill package is worth over 5k alone.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ace 95 said:
You are totally right Ace. I'm a Strut and Asanti dealer in Washington state. Nobody is buying that grille for the 03-05 Ranges for over 1500 used.... The wheels are about $7000 new, but the condition they were in I would be lucky to get 2k for them. I hate it, because it makes it harder for me to sell their items!!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Ace 95 said:
Why is that Grille Package so much new? I don't even like the look of it - way too "Old Cadillac" for me.

Understated classy is the British way :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Gazellio said:
Ace 95 said:
Why is that Grille Package so much new? I don't even like the look of it - way too "Old Cadillac" for me.

The best way to explain it as why a Louis Vuitton handbag is 10 times more expensive than a coach. Marketing.....

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts

AAD said:
Gazellio said:
Ace 95 said:

The best way to explain it as why a Louis Vuitton handbag is 10 times more expensive than a coach. Marketing.....
"Understated" isn't in some people's vocabulary…

·
Registered
952 Posts

Whatever the grill and wheels may be worth, they are hideous.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts