RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 4.6 HSE

Taking my daughter home last night, when the rear tailgate glass just shattered...

From searching the forum, it seems that this sort of spontaneous self-destruction is not uncommon - I guess it is just years of heating up and cooling down. Either that, or the assassins are after me again...

Only one glass repair shop where I live, who is trying to find a replacement that is less than a million pounds. There are a few breakers locally who have P38 bits - just wondering if it would be simpler (and cheaper) to replace the entire tailgate? It's not in the best of conditions anyway, and currently reads "Anger Over" on the back...

Any ideas welcome.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Paul Grant in connecticut, possible a few local junkyards others around the country, glass shop, atlantic british.
unfortunately, the name of the truck adds a premium to anything in the us. if it was domestic every rover owner will be set with lower overall ownership experience

·
Super Moderator
1,647 Posts
Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, he's not in the US but on Jersey in the Channel Islands. If you have a local breaker that can supply a complete upper tailgate, that is going to be by far the easiest option. Other than the bolts onto the hinges and gas struts, all you've got is the cabling (connectors hidden above the headlining) and tube for the rear washer. My LSE used to say RAN OVER on the back.......

·
Registered
661 Posts
Get a replacement tailgate complete but ensure it was removed correctly ie the multiplugs for rear wiper ash etc are up on n the headlining easy to find and unclip if you know and makes it simpler to fit. When removing the tailgate you need 2 friends ideally to take the weight as it’s unbolted from its brackets and when replacing have a friend lay inside the luggage area to make aligning and screwing the mounting bolts loads easier. It either takes 20 minutes or all day to align the frame so it’s perfect gaps each side. An easy job

·
Registered
894 Posts
Wow, never heard of such a thing happening. I think assassins are indeed going after you again.

Here in the US, new tailgate glass can be had for about $250, or a used upper tailgate assembly with glass for about $300.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

Live very close to a statue of Sir George Carteret, who used to own New Jersey, and now gives his name to the local pub...

Going to see what price I can get on the glass first as I had a chat with my insurers and, what do you know, it turns out it wasn't just self-destruction from wear and tear, it must have been vandals...who knew?

Otherwise, breakers yard it is...

·
Registered
355 Posts
My son was throwing rocks a couple of months back, and he shattered my rear window.. Costed me about 650 AUD to replace, just with a normal car glass guy.. Did take a couple of days to get the window in from the mainland.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts