RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to take off my shark fin and clean it up a bit or replace it with a new glossy one...seems to have faded over the last 4 years.

Anyone take their's off yet - any tricks to removing it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Maybe replace it with the latest low profile one?

Do not know if is feasible/easy

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Haven't seen how its held down on the RRS, but I noticed when I was installing XM on my sister in laws BMW last year that theirs is attached by ~3/4 nut on the underside of the roof. You access this nut by pulling down the headliner. Just throwing that out there---ours may be similar.

One thing, I wonder why ours is not painted like BMW's? Could there be a potential reception problem?

Oh, and I'm almost afraid to tell you this but I've seen aftermarket ones with a little (blue) light on the top. :naughty:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blue light special! He he Goose, they'll confuse my car for a landing strip as I drive down the highway.

Thanks guys...that's helpful!

·
Registered
318 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Looking to take off my shark fin and clean it up a bit or replace it with a new glossy one...seems to have faded over the last 4 years.

Anyone take their's off yet - any tricks to removing it?

Thanks!
I actually think you'd be better off taping off and painting it. It actually isn't as hard as you might think it would be. Blue tape and newspaper to protect the roof, scuff and prime the fin, then 3 coats of black base and 2 coats of clear. That fin doesn't see nearly as much abuse as say a front grille so I think you'll get great longevity out of it. There's also a small relief around the fin where it meets the roof (presumably due to the gasket that's tucked in there) which would provide a great spot to run your tape around it.

- Ladder
- Scotch Brite Pad (light scuff since its already textured)
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Duplicolor plastic spray paint
- Clear coat

I've done this to many sets of my calipers and its pretty easy. In fact, I'm doing my Brembo's in about 2 months.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ukraine...those are helpful suggestions.

I found one on Ebay for $11 bucks, plus a few bucks for shipping...nice and glossy.

Will let everyone know how it turns out...if so, a cheap and fast alternative.

Cheerio

·
Registered
318 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Thanks Ukraine...those are helpful suggestions.

I found one on Ebay for $11 bucks, plus a few bucks for shipping...nice and glossy.

Will let everyone know how it turns out...if so, a cheap and fast alternative.

Cheerio
Well I only suggest that because I'm really not one for doing invasive stuff like removing the headliner to reach a screw and such. And given my experience with painting calipers (in which a properly prepped one will not chip or fade) I don't think this would be that difficult to do - at all.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Yes, I'm afraid so. /:( This one just sticks on---like the infamous Brembo press on nails/caliper covers.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gooseyloosey said:
Yes, I'm afraid so. /:( This one just sticks on---like the infamous Brembo press on nails/caliper covers.
Crap...there goes $20 buckaroos...oh well, another star for Ebay.

Ok...back to the painting scenario - thanks Ukraine for the tips. Since I'm going to have some other items "refreshed", I might as well remove this one as well if I can do it without ruining the headliner.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Since I'm going to have some other items "refreshed", I might as well remove this one as well if I can do it without ruining the headliner.
Refreshed=more blue? Just when I thought this car couldn't get any bluer :D

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gooseyloosey said:
PJPR01 said:
Since I'm going to have some other items "refreshed", I might as well remove this one as well if I can do it without ruining the headliner.
Refreshed=more blue? Just when I thought this car couldn't get any bluer :D
He he...actually believe it or not, I'm working on the "black" parts of the Dementor (the nickname my nieces have now given my car). I'm installing a fresh set of mudflaps from M32 since I lost one of the front ones on the last Continental Divide somewhere between Imogene Pass and Mosquito Pass, and bent one of the rear ones hard enough create a noticeable fissure, so now with 97K miles, it's time for a new set, which then got me thinking, it would nice to paint the rest of the black skirts and the front/rear black sections a nice fresh set of glossy black - to match my wheels of course!

The cherry on top will be the new shark fin!
:) :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good advice, you guys keep me on the right path here.

Well...you'll see a flash of blue, but it won't be the RRS this time in Scottsdale, and I dare not take it even close to Crown King!

`)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes indeed...but it will be a german bat and not an italian one!

`)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts