Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
Is in the US the SDV6 engine not available?
The Td6 is the single turbo engine, right?

Because the SDV6 hasn't that lag. On 1500rpm it delivers 700Nm of torque. If the engine is cold I don't let it cruising at 1000rpm. I have situations, where the car drives 50kph at 1000rpm and it accelerates smoothly. Power is enough there...

If I would drivr 112kph (70mph) the SDV6 would easily consume 7 (and below) l/100km

2016 RRS HSE Td6 with 115K miles
Most of my driving is secondary roads without much traffic. I have been getting 32 mpg averaging 62 mph based on the dash readout. When I calculate it myself, the dash gauge reads 10% high. What I have on the vehicle makes a difference too. It drops ~1 mpg with the roof bars on and down to 29 mpg with a XL roof box on top of them. Snow tires drop it another 1-2 mpg.
I need bathroom break by 600 miles so I tend to fill the tank at 3/4 down about 19 gallons.

Lol, I'd like to see how the tuned TD6 drives. From what I've seen the throttle response is really bad from factory but the tune helps immensely. Also I bet the tune helps their mpg as well.
I wonder if the pedal commander would work. IM gonna check it out and see what I find out. If they dont have one they are local I can let them use mine. Ive heard nothing but great things about pedal commanders. Google them. See whart you think. PC18 is part #

Thanks engineerrs for starting this thread. I calculate every tank using the miles driven/gallons used method. The dash calculation is quite conservative.

I have a 2015 RRS SCV8 510Hp. I bought into the SCV8 after having a VW Touareg TDi, which I loved the mpg and torque. The SCV8 and exhaust note in the RR is addictive for sure, although the gas mileage is not.

City Driving
I live in Phoenix, AZ, so in the summer months, I was continually getting between 13-14mpg each tank, and would usually travel between 320-330 miles. The tank would take between 22-24 gallons usually when the Range left was under 50 miles on the dash.

In the winter months so far, I get mostly in the mid 15-16 mpg, but never higher than that around town. I'm always excited if I get 16.x after calculating my mileage. More than 90% of the time though, I calculate 15.x and get right around 330-340 miles of range as I approach 0 miles of range.

Highway Driving
In a few long trips out of state, I've gotten mostly around 17mpg and usually cruise around 80-85mph because the speed limit on AZ highways is 75mph.

I get a kick out of the dash estimates every time I fill the tank. It continually estimates 18+ mpg and well over 450 miles of range. I want to know who coded that calculation.. Maybe it's made to make us feel better about the car after spending close to $100 to fill the tank...

It would be great to get closer to 18mpg around town and 20mpg on highway trips.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Thanks engineerrs for starting this thread. I calculate every tank using the miles driven/gallons used method. The dash calculation is quite conservative.

I have a 2015 RRS SCV8 510Hp. I bought into the SCV8 after having a VW Touareg TDi, which I loved the mpg and torque. The SCV8 and exhaust note in the RR is addictive for sure, although the gas mileage is not.

City Driving
I live in Phoenix, AZ, so in the summer months, I was continually getting between 13-14mpg each tank, and would usually travel between 320-330 miles. The tank would take between 22-24 gallons usually when the Range left was under 50 miles on the dash.

In the winter months so far, I get mostly in the mid 15-16 mpg, but never higher than that around town. I'm always excited if I get 16.x after calculating my mileage. More than 90% of the time though, I calculate 15.x and get right around 330-340 miles of range as I approach 0 miles of range.

Highway Driving
In a few long trips out of state, I've gotten mostly around 17mpg and usually cruise around 80-85mph because the speed limit on AZ highways is 75mph.

I get a kick out of the dash estimates every time I fill the tank. It continually estimates 18+ mpg and well over 450 miles of range. I want to know who coded that calculation.. Maybe it's made to make us feel better about the car after spending close to $100 to fill the tank...

It would be great to get closer to 18mpg around town and 20mpg on highway trips.
Do you have any modifications or are you fully stock?

My last tank the display showed 22.1mpg. When I did the math to account for my larger tires, then divided that by the gallons pumped it came out to 19.1mpg or 13.5% worse than the readout.

I ultimately don't care as much about the fuel economy, but I do wish I had a bigger fuel tank so I could drive 500+ miles between fill-ups somewhat regularly. Maybe the 2021 with a twin-turbo V8 will put out similar power while getting better fuel economy?

VelocityAP has an ECU tune that'll add 68bhp and 165lb-ft of torque for $995.

Did mine about 2 weeks ago. Just city driving so far, so haven’t gotten into any long trips to measure fuel economy, but the torque is definitely noticeable and the turbo lag is definitely minimized.

I also had the auto start/stop turned off as part of the tune... hell, that’s worth the money just for that ;)

Did mine about 2 weeks ago. Just city driving so far, so haven’t gotten into any long trips to measure fuel economy, but the torque is definitely noticeable and the turbo lag is definitely minimized.

I also had the auto start/stop turned off as part of the tune... hell, that’s worth the money just for that ;)
Very interested in your continued feedback on this. Did you do install yourself? Are you out of warranty- thus not worried about a dealer flag?
Thanks!

I’d imagine the start-stop is pretty rough feeling on the diesels.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Very interested in your continued feedback on this. Did you do install yourself? Are you out of warranty- thus not worried about a dealer flag?
Thanks!
I talked to Stuart at VelocityAP about this. He said they can install the tune with a certain setting such that the dealer doesn't notice it if/when you take it in for service.

Do you have any modifications or are you fully stock?

My last tank the display showed 22.1mpg. When I did the math to account for my larger tires, then divided that by the gallons pumped it came out to 19.1mpg or 13.5% worse than the readout.

I ultimately don't care as much about the fuel economy, but I do wish I had a bigger fuel tank so I could drive 500+ miles between fill-ups somewhat regularly. Maybe the 2021 with a twin-turbo V8 will put out similar power while getting better fuel economy?
My 2015 is fully stock. I figure if I modify it, the gas mileage will be even worse as I get my foot into it even more than usual.
The diesel would be perfect for getting 500+ miles per tank. I have a few gripes about the diesel models like the fact that the interior options are not what you get in the SCV8 versions, namely the digital gauge cluster. Every diesel I looked at had analog gauges, which cheapens the interior a bit comparatively. I haven't looked at newer ones though, so maybe that's been upgraded.
Also, having the air suspension is also a great feature (while it's working), where the diesels use steel springs. The air suspension adds the Dynamic driving mode as well, which I never leave home without.
Maybe when my 2015 is getting up there in miles, I'll revisit the diesels. I did love the torque and miss the mpg.

Thanks!
Will post a bit once get a better feel for it.

I did do the install myself. Not hard. Directions lacking a bit, but nothing challenging.

Still under warranty. The “programmer” has both my original file and the modified file on it, so I can easily swap the car back to the original file before taking it in. Takes less than 10 minutes.

I’d imagine the start-stop is pretty rough feeling on the diesels.
Likely a bit rougher than the petrol engines, but not awful... the TD6 is fairly smooth compared to most diesels.

My biggest issue with it was the slight delay from the start/stop coupled with the turbo lag meant if you ever needed to move fast from a stopped position, you were taking your life into your own hands. I could deal with either one of those slight delays, but not both.

2016 RRS HSE Td6 most of my driving is going from my house in N. California to Tahoe averaging 70-75 m/h, calculated mileage 28-30 miles/gallon usually 500-550 miles per tank. Plenty of power for passing going up hill, love this SUV.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
2016 RRS HSE Td6 most of my driving is going from my house in N. California to Tahoe averaging 70-75 m/h, calculated mileage 28-30 miles/gallon usually 500-550 miles per tank. Plenty of power for passing going up hill, love this SUV.
I want the added range for Tahoe trips too! It would be nice to go from the South Bay up to Tahoe and back on a single tank with plenty to spare while you're up in the mountains. My SCV8 can more or less do it, but I've ended up in uncomfortable positions before getting stuck on the road in the mountains while it's showing because of big accidents.

just did a fill up. Usual around town a bit of highway. Avg speed of around 35, computer said 24.7, calculated at 23.8

Interesting

My SDV6 (306hp) over the last 2300kms is shoeing 8.6l and an average speed of 83kph (holiday drive through Italy with 150kph on highway)

Calculated on the last 3, 4 fillings between 8.9 and 9.4l/100km

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.