Range Rovers Forum banner

Share your driving range, fuel economy, etc.

8K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  totya 
#1 ·
Curious to see what the different trims are getting in terms of overall driving range. Particularly curious about the Td6 range as I might go diesel next time around. Please clarify if you're using the displayed figures (typically 10-15% optimistic) or actual (calculated based on miles driven and gallons pumped).

Year: 2017
Model: Range Rover Sport
Trim: ATB V8 SC 510hp
Mods: 275/55R20 KO2s
MPG Hwy (actual): right around 19mpg highway if I cruise at 70-72mph, 17-18mpg if I go 75+
MPG City (actual): 12-14mpg with relaxed driving
Range Hwy: last tank of 19mpg showed 479 miles of expected range, but I'm usually in the 420-430 range for mixed driving
Range City:
360-390
Gallons Filled At Empty: usually 22-23 gallons when I show 0 miles of range, but one time I filled up 24.5 gallons

#2 ·
I haven't gotten as detailed as you have "E" but I think my below MPG's are rather accurate. I drive 60/40 Highway to City... but in North Atlanta even the Highway is more like City driving as rush hour is from 7am to 10am and from 3:30 to 7pm in the afternoons. I'm getting 1.5MPG's better than my 15' Explorer Sport 3.5L Bi-Turbo ever got when new until 60K miles when I traded it in. That said, I'm getting about 19.2MPG's on average mixed use. I love that the Rover rolls 80MPH down the Freeway in 8th gear, @ a hair shy of 2,000RPM's. The all Aluminum monocoque of the Rover Sport paired with the fantastic 8 speed transmission and a Supercharged Aluminum Engine/block that effortlessly pushes down the road is why it get better MPG's than my old Ford Exp Sport.

Man I can never squeeze in any more than 22 Gallons in the Rover even when she says near 0 miles left in tank. And honestly... I like that it's a 27+ Gallon thank with 5 gallons of dedicated reserved fuel. If you've ever been in the Deep south on a long stretch of highway where exits are 15 miles apart in some stretches you'll appreciate your Rover having 75 to 90 miles of reserve! I certainly do. I also appreciate going 7, 8, and sometimes 9 days in between fill-ups. The Explorer was every 4.5 days annoyingly.

Reactions: engineerrs
#3 · (Edited)
I used your format and tweaked it where I differed. After the flash and pulley the mpg improved significantly. I did one highway trip and the dash was only a little above actual in mpg. I live in the Florida Keys so my “around town” speeds are pretty low helping my mixed mpg. When I make trips to the mainland the mpgs are solid mid 20’s unless I start pushing 80+

Year: 2016
Trim: Supercharged Dynamic V8 SC 510hp /650hp after Pulley and Tune
Mods: VAP Crank pulley and Tune
MPG Hwy (dash): right around 24-25 highway if I cruise at 70-72mph, 22-23mpg if I go 75+
MPG City (dash): 22mpg with relaxed driving
Range Hwy: last tank of 24mpg showed 504 miles of expected range.
Range City: around 400
Gallons Filled At Empty: usually 22-23 gallons when I show 0 miles of range

#4 ·
I used your format and tweaked it where I differed. After the flash and pulley the mpg improved significantly. I did one highway trip and the dash was only a little above actual in mph. I live in the Flordia Keys so my “around town” speeds are pretty low helping my mixed mpg. When I make trips to the mainland the mpgs are solid mid 20’s unless I start pushing 80+

Year: 2016
Trim: Supercharged Dynamic V8 SC 510hp /650hp after Pulley and Tune
Mods: VAP Crank pulley and Tune
MPG Hwy (dash): right around 24-25 highway if I cruise at 70-72mph, 22-23mpg if I go 75+
MPG City (dash): 22mpg with relaxed driving
Range Hwy: last tank of 24mpg showed 504 miles of expected range.
Range City: around 400
Gallons Filled At Empty: usually 22-23 gallons when I show 0 miles of range
Based on those numbers it sounds like I need to get a VAP Crank Pulley + Tune asap! Even if your dash numbers are off by 15%, that's 20-21mpg highway and just under 19mpg city, which is fantastic.

#6 ·
When I installed an "SCT" Tune on my 3.5L bi-turbo Ford the mileage for sure went up by about 1.5MPG's as well as a significant and noticeable bump up in HP and TQ... I'm positive a "Tune" for the Rover will do the same!

#7 ·
2016 RRSport Diesel. 55kmiles. Typically the computer states between 24.5 and 26.5 mpg. My hand calculations at each flll up suggest it is 1 to 1.5mpg less than the computer states. Note that I do drive it hard, regularly with my foot in the turbo and on the highways here in AZ, cruising speed is usually 75 to 80

#15 ·
Can confirm :) if I would constantly drive 100kph here in Switzerland, I would get also those figures. Normally on the highway I drive 130-138kph. Then, I get about 8.2 - 9.5l/100km

I came back from holiday last Monday and have driven ca. 480km through Italy with ACC and 150kph set to it -> calculated consumtion was 9.5l/100km

For me, that sounds really got for a 2.3t car and power of the engine (also SDV6 2016)

#13 ·
I also get around 31-33 average at 65-70 highway speeds. 2017 RRS TD6. Factoring in city driving, I'm still holding around 29 average on the dash; this includes an average acceleration, not gunning it to get ahead of anyone but also not pussyfooting it. If I drive on a flat plane keeping it around 60, going to Ocean City for example, I can average 40 with a very light foot assuming I don't hit any traffic lights.

#14 ·
I guess I need to modify my driving style. I am getting between 24 and 26 mpg in combined driving. I have seen as high as 33 on the highway at cruising speed on a flat surface. As the truck gets more miles, I seem to be getting better mileage. Range is between 525 and 600 miles. Further than my bladder can go

#19 ·
I bought a 2017 TD6 this week. I’ve got a couple hundred miles on it and the computer shows an average of 28. Mostly freeway at 70. A few stop and go commutes.

I drove to v8 and td6 multiple times before pulling the trigger. If you are used to that 510 plus hp, you probably aren’t to be thrilled with the td6.

I hadn’t gotten used to a car with a ton of power, so for me the td6 is amazing my commute is 18 miles, mostly freeway, and it takes 45-60 minutes . So 24plus mpg rocks.

#21 ·
Is in the US the SDV6 engine not available?
The Td6 is the single turbo engine, right?

Because the SDV6 hasn't that lag. On 1500rpm it delivers 700Nm of torque. If the engine is cold I don't let it cruising at 1000rpm. I have situations, where the car drives 50kph at 1000rpm and it accelerates smoothly. Power is enough there...

If I would drivr 112kph (70mph) the SDV6 would easily consume 7 (and below) l/100km

#22 ·
2016 RRS HSE Td6 with 115K miles
Most of my driving is secondary roads without much traffic. I have been getting 32 mpg averaging 62 mph based on the dash readout. When I calculate it myself, the dash gauge reads 10% high. What I have on the vehicle makes a difference too. It drops ~1 mpg with the roof bars on and down to 29 mpg with a XL roof box on top of them. Snow tires drop it another 1-2 mpg.
I need bathroom break by 600 miles so I tend to fill the tank at 3/4 down about 19 gallons.

#24 ·
Thanks engineerrs for starting this thread. I calculate every tank using the miles driven/gallons used method. The dash calculation is quite conservative.

I have a 2015 RRS SCV8 510Hp. I bought into the SCV8 after having a VW Touareg TDi, which I loved the mpg and torque. The SCV8 and exhaust note in the RR is addictive for sure, although the gas mileage is not.

City Driving
I live in Phoenix, AZ, so in the summer months, I was continually getting between 13-14mpg each tank, and would usually travel between 320-330 miles. The tank would take between 22-24 gallons usually when the Range left was under 50 miles on the dash.

In the winter months so far, I get mostly in the mid 15-16 mpg, but never higher than that around town. I'm always excited if I get 16.x after calculating my mileage. More than 90% of the time though, I calculate 15.x and get right around 330-340 miles of range as I approach 0 miles of range.

Highway Driving
In a few long trips out of state, I've gotten mostly around 17mpg and usually cruise around 80-85mph because the speed limit on AZ highways is 75mph.

I get a kick out of the dash estimates every time I fill the tank. It continually estimates 18+ mpg and well over 450 miles of range. I want to know who coded that calculation.. Maybe it's made to make us feel better about the car after spending close to $100 to fill the tank...

It would be great to get closer to 18mpg around town and 20mpg on highway trips.

#25 ·
Thanks engineerrs for starting this thread. I calculate every tank using the miles driven/gallons used method. The dash calculation is quite conservative.

I have a 2015 RRS SCV8 510Hp. I bought into the SCV8 after having a VW Touareg TDi, which I loved the mpg and torque. The SCV8 and exhaust note in the RR is addictive for sure, although the gas mileage is not.

City Driving
I live in Phoenix, AZ, so in the summer months, I was continually getting between 13-14mpg each tank, and would usually travel between 320-330 miles. The tank would take between 22-24 gallons usually when the Range left was under 50 miles on the dash.

In the winter months so far, I get mostly in the mid 15-16 mpg, but never higher than that around town. I'm always excited if I get 16.x after calculating my mileage. More than 90% of the time though, I calculate 15.x and get right around 330-340 miles of range as I approach 0 miles of range.

Highway Driving
In a few long trips out of state, I've gotten mostly around 17mpg and usually cruise around 80-85mph because the speed limit on AZ highways is 75mph.

I get a kick out of the dash estimates every time I fill the tank. It continually estimates 18+ mpg and well over 450 miles of range. I want to know who coded that calculation.. Maybe it's made to make us feel better about the car after spending close to $100 to fill the tank...

It would be great to get closer to 18mpg around town and 20mpg on highway trips.
Do you have any modifications or are you fully stock?

My last tank the display showed 22.1mpg. When I did the math to account for my larger tires, then divided that by the gallons pumped it came out to 19.1mpg or 13.5% worse than the readout.

I ultimately don't care as much about the fuel economy, but I do wish I had a bigger fuel tank so I could drive 500+ miles between fill-ups somewhat regularly. Maybe the 2021 with a twin-turbo V8 will put out similar power while getting better fuel economy?

#37 ·
I want the added range for Tahoe trips too! It would be nice to go from the South Bay up to Tahoe and back on a single tank with plenty to spare while you're up in the mountains. My SCV8 can more or less do it, but I've ended up in uncomfortable positions before getting stuck on the road in the mountains while it's showing because of big accidents.

#39 ·
Interesting

My SDV6 (306hp) over the last 2300kms is shoeing 8.6l and an average speed of 83kph (holiday drive through Italy with 150kph on highway)

Calculated on the last 3, 4 fillings between 8.9 and 9.4l/100km

#41 ·
1999 p38
4.6 use
255/55/18
80/20 city highway 14 mpg
Straight highway between 19-21 depending on traffic
City is midtown Manhattan so 14 is remarkable for anything that size I have a new Mercedes will all the gas saving Bell's and that only pulls 21 and it might fit in the back of I left the hatch open if you get my drift.

Empty redzone is 4 gallons

#48 ·
2020 HSE p360:
So far, I've averaged 16.6 in 2500 miles of driving- so below even the EPA city estimate of 19. That being said, most of that driving has been in low speed stop and go type situations, including a daily commute that includes a significant hill. Highway drives seem to easily get up to around 26/27. "Normal" city driving (flat terrain, slow but moving traffic) seems to average around 20-21.

#50 ·
Just got back from a 2800 km round trip to Johannesburg, and got some great consumption mostly due to very few trucks on the main national road.

I drove with the same style all the way & back, cruise control on 130kmh, only going way over the speed limit when overtaking 2-3 trucks in a row.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.