RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just purchased a 2011 range rover sport supercharged and when I start the car the "service required" message comes on. Is this normal? I would guess that there shouldn't be a service required message unless a service is required. any help with this would be appreciated.

thanks

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Where/who did you purchase it from? If the car is a CPO and was serviced through a dealer on a regular basis prior to you purchasing it, based on the current mileage and age any dealer should be able to tell you why that service light is on, just give them your VIN and they'll look it up. If it was serviced at independent shops, anything is possible. You may be due for a quick oil change, or a more thorough scheduled service. Or, the garage that performed the last service may have simply forgotten or been unable to reset the service indicator (the indicator must be reset using specialized diagnostic tools, so not every garage or owner can do so. Even dealers are known for forgetting to reset that indicator at times.) Unless this is a CPO with a complete and documented service history, it never hurts to perform an oil/filter change when you buy a used vehicle anyway, and check for other signs of neglect while you're at it - air filters overly dirty, uneven tires pressure, brake pads ,fluid levels under the hood, etc.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
729 Posts
The message is not directly connected to anything in the car that senses something needs servicing. It is simply a timer/milage counter and counts from the last reset so if not reset correctly will give a false service alert - can be set to come on either time or distance before the service is due.

If the car is due for a service by the books get it serviced and ensure the service indicator is correctly set - I have mine to come on 30 days before next service is due and I monitor the oddometer for distance covered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts