RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Severe, intermittent shaking/oscillation after installation of larger wheels/tires

I purchased OEM RR 19" wheels (seemingly perfect shape) with used tires (~75% tread left on them, though dating from 2006, according to the tire code) on that well known auction site and had them installed (along with hub rings/spacers and larger OEM bolts) on my 2002 P38.

All seemed alright until the first time I got on a local highway, hit a bump and found myself with the Rover shaking severely. My immediate thought, as I slowed down and pulled to the side of the road was that one of the wheels was about the fly off, presumably an installation problem. I returned to the tire installer and we took the vehicle for a drive on a different (smoother) highway at various speeds and, apart from a bit of a rough ride (which I relate to the Bilsteins I recently installed), all seemed okay. On returning to the first highway where I had the original experience, we hit the same rough patch and the shaking began again, then ceased when we hit a smoother patch.

In summary, what seems to be happening is that hitting a bump at highway speed causes an oscillation that shakes the entire vehicle until I slow down significantly or return to smoother road (a relative rarity in Northern California, I'm afraid). The tire installer checked all the lug nuts, etc., which are properly torqued and I had the wheels/tires balanced before they were installed.

Have any of you faced a similar problem. Could it be how the tires are worn from the previous vehicle (presumably a 2006+ HSE, given the wheels I purchased)? If so, will my driving of the wheels/tires on my 02 eventually cause the tires to wear to were I will not face this sort of oscillation crisis? Or, assuming the problem is, in fact, how the tires are worn, is this a situation that not fixable by continuing to drive on them?

I would appreciate your thoughts or suggestions.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Re: Severe, intermittent shaking/oscillation after installation of larger wheels/tire

It's almost guaranteed to happen if you fit L322 wheel to a P38 and don't fit any hub rings. Maybe the ones you fitted are the wrong size and not doing anything?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: Severe, intermittent shaking/oscillation after installation of larger wheels/tire

I had this same problem. You should do a search for "death wobble" and read up. However, I can save you a lot of time and recommend that you change your upper and lower front ball joints. I ended up replacing the tie rods and a few other things, but the ball joints are what really fixed the problem for good. On the lift, the old ball joints looked ok, a mechanic also looked at it and said they seemed fine, but when I finally replaced them it was obvious that they were way, way past their prime. They pretty much fell apart when I pulled them out. The 19 inch wheels (what I have) work just fine as long as the ball joints and tie rods are in good shape. My RR had about 105,000 miles on it when I replaced those.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Threw the 322's wheels away and fitted standard P38a wheels, no wobble or any trouble, and go back to 16's to get the really nice ride you should have.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts

Threw the 322's wheels away and fitted standard P38a wheels, no wobble or any trouble, and go back to 16's to get the really nice ride you should have.
Or oversized 16's like me. Even better.

Is there any uneven wear or chips in the tires? My previous set of Michelins on 18's ended up getting destroyed by my (lack of) alignment. Though they had tread left, I got terrible steering shutter with them. Even after new ball joints, tie rod ends, steering damper, and steering linkage. The second I swapped them out for new 16's, I had no problems.

It wont fix itself, once they wear uneven, you can't fix them. I'd check your tread depth all around the tire and make sure it's even.

·
Registered
234 Posts

I had this same problem. You should do a search for "death wobble" and read up. However, I can save you a lot of time and recommend that you change your upper and lower front ball joints. I ended up replacing the tie rods and a few other things, but the ball joints are what really fixed the problem for good. On the lift, the old ball joints looked ok, a mechanic also looked at it and said they seemed fine, but when I finally replaced them it was obvious that they were way, way past their prime. They pretty much fell apart when I pulled them out. The 19 inch wheels (what I have) work just fine as long as the ball joints and tie rods are in good shape. My RR had about 105,000 miles on it when I replaced those.
+1 on the worn out balljoints etc..

I run the 20" diameter Overfinch wheels in the summer and 18" Hurricanes in the winter.

Only difference I have noticed is a slightly harder ride quality on the 20"'s (but with more grip on dry pavement)

Going to a 19" RR wheel shouldn't result in death wobble If the suspension parts are in good shape.

·
Registered
343 Posts

I have the wheels and the pain outweighs the look. Which I do like. Almost zero choices for replacement tires at that size. Cooper Zeons are about $225 online not including shipping and mounting/balancing. Not to mention I do notice that I do get a tad of steering shudder over bumps at speed. Not death wobble per se but not pleasant. I'm toying with getting 16" steel wheels. Even with new tires at that size the wheels and tires are cheaper than new 19" tires alone. Don't forget your spare. As the 18" and 55 profile stock spare is smaller in diameter than 19" you'll need to correct that. I had a blowout recently and upgraded the spare to 60 profile to get close to the 19" size. Overall a pain imo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, I am (pretty) sure it is not the hub rings, as I purchased the ones recommended on this site (from Americas/Discount Tire; cost ~$15 plus tax for aluminum rings). I am going to look into the ball joints, as recommended. Just FYI, I had no such trouble with the original 18" wheels and tires, which I still have and that I may end up putting back on if things don't work out with these 19s. Thank you everyone for the quick responses. Great forum we have going here. I will keep everyone apprised of developments.

One last point; how much should I expect to pay to replace the upper and lower ball joints?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts

Well, I am (pretty) sure it is not the hub rings, as I purchased the ones recommended on this site (from Americas/Discount Tire; cost ~$15 plus tax for aluminum rings). I am going to look into the ball joints, as recommended. Just FYI, I had no such trouble with the original 18" wheels and tires, which I still have and that I may end up putting back on if things don't work out with these 19s. Thank you everyone for the quick responses. Great forum we have going here. I will keep everyone apprised of developments.

One last point; how much should I expect to pay to replace the upper and lower ball joints?
It's usually only the lower that need replacing. I would expect to pay $600-$700 for just lower, and $700-$800 for both lower and upper.

·
Registered
609 Posts

You stated the tires were manufactured in 2006. I can't be 100% certain, but I'd place my money on the tires.
Rubber has about a six year shelf life. Your shaking may be coming from the belts losing cohesion and beginning to separate. Look for stress fractures on the shoulder of the thread.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
02 Range Rover Westminster
98 Discovery LE Tdi

R

·
0 Posts

how about the ET of the rims? is that in any way close to the original or do these weels stand outward in compare to the originals?

since for the P38 there are NO 19" OEM wheels, these wheels will probably (as said allready) be for the L332 and thus has the OEM no meaning whatsoever in regard to the P38.

the steering geometry of a car is designed for the line throug the heart of the upper and lower balljoint and the line through the middle of the wheel to cross at about the pavement. if the wheel stands outward, the line throught the middle of the wheel crosses the pavement further outward than the line through the balljoints, causing a momentum on your steeringgeometry causing it to vibrate more easily when hitting uneven roadsurfaces

·
Registered
609 Posts

Fixing some problems sometimes requires experimentation. I put the original spare tire on the road and bought just three new tires to save money. That tire did just what you explained and after a couple of months, the tread separated.
First off, you know you will need to replace the tires if they are indeed eight years old even if they have a good amount of tread left. Google tire shelf life.
Tires, while not cheap anymore, would be a good start. If your problems goes away, then you know.
If the issue persist, you have at least replaced old tires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
02 Range Rover Westminster
98 Discovery LE Tdi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts